Polaris ATV Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Sportsman 850HO
8 Posts
I read so many posts about people having the Oil Dip Stick break off after incorrectly putting it in and when you start the engine SNAP off it goes. You dont know this until next time when you check your oil. I have been very carefull when installing it but as with anything soner or later its your turn. Some that this has happened to them say no big deal see if you can fish it out, some say it gets ground up and plugs the oil pick up screen and starves the engine for presious oil. So....... Proactively what I did is purchase a new Oil Dip Stick $17.95 and took my current one and cut the stick off of the cap. I now will check the engine oil with my new one carried in a sealed tube in my storage box, and then reinstall just the dummy cap over the hole. No Dip Stick to break off.... What do you think?

View attachment 148389

View attachment 148390

View attachment 148391
Well done Brother!! That’s an awesome idea!!
Thank you for sharing that, I’ll order another from Nash power sports ASAP. I’m new to the Sportsman world of ATV, if you ever have any other advice please feel free to share!!
It’s such an obvious fix, I’m sure many of us missed that ? Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read so many posts about people having the Oil Dip Stick break off after incorrectly putting it in and when you start the engine SNAP off it goes. You dont know this until next time when you check your oil. I have been very carefull when installing it but as with anything soner or later its your turn. Some that this has happened to them say no big deal see if you can fish it out, some say it gets ground up and plugs the oil pick up screen and starves the engine for presious oil. So....... Proactively what I did is purchase a new Oil Dip Stick $17.95 and took my current one and cut the stick off of the cap. I now will check the engine oil with my new one carried in a sealed tube in my storage box, and then reinstall just the dummy cap over the hole. No Dip Stick to break off.... What do you think?

View attachment 148389

View attachment 148390

View attachment 148391

·
13,776 Posts
View attachment 159899
Begs the question of how they are breaking and an even more simple mod!
I could be wrong, but I don't think they just break off by themselves. There's a specific angle the dipstick has to be inserted to go down right beside the balance shaft which is directly under the hole. Stick it in the wrong way and push down a little and the plastic stick will snap right off.
I'm saying its operator error Sprotsman. Just gotta pay attention... No mods necessary.
Sure hope I'm not wrong lol. 😁

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think they just break off by themselves. There's a specific angle the dipstick has to be inserted to go down right beside the balance shaft which is directly under the hole. Stick it in the wrong way and push down a little and the plastic stick will snap right off.
I'm saying its operator error Sprotsman. Just gotta pay attention... No mods necessary.
Sure hope I'm not wrong lol.
+1
I think the dipsticks are being broken by dipshits.

That being said, I'll probably break mine!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are right on, you have to gently guide the stick into position, you feel resistance if your off even a little, but, it isn’t a bad idea to have a spare just incase you need one ?
but using a spare for a plug isn’t a bad idea either.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Sure hope I'm not wrong lol. 😁
And BINGO! That’s what my “mod” was polman. The mod of doing things correctly and not while motor is running.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,233 Posts
Sometimes $hit happens.

I went in too deep once. Got the machine out, pulled the plugs, pulled the oil dip stick out to see if water had gotten into it, all was good. As I was replacing the oil dip stick, my "dip stick" friend decided to turn over the engine to see if there was water in the cylinders... snap went my dip stick.

Sometimes $hit happens.

Now I have the broken one with the entire stick removed in my machine, and a new one in my trunk for when i want to check levels.

Reactions: Sprotsman
41 - 56 of 56 Posts