Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While buzzing through the woods, I managed to snag the front corner of the rear rack on a tree and cracked it off. I cleaned the edge up with a Dremel, and now I'm trying to come up with something I could rivet or glue to the edge to make it look more normal. Anyone have any ideas for me?

The red tint is a custom Polaris color...actually, it is deer blood. I should probably wash that off sometime.

·
Premium Member
10,361 Posts
I did the same thing but to the left side. I also cleaned it up with the dremel. Where I could make the broken piece straight I did and when I transitioned to the unbroken parts I did a straight angled cut and on the opposite side I did a perpendicular cut. And that's how I left it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have cracked both the front and rear (like one inch on each rack).
Should I just glue it together or melt the plastic in some way?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
if it's just cracked you could get a plastic welder and melt it back to gether. If you're carful you can get it pretty smooth. But you'll notice the texture difference where the weld is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really would not worry about it, I had to remove mine to put a Polaris rear rack on and as I remember there are many bolts holding it in so it's not going to fall off. Mine broke also in the rear when I had a Koplin gas can and holder, I just glued it together. If you ride your atv for any length of time it will get some nicks and dents.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Look in the classifieds here or on EBay for a new/used rack.......otherwise, leave it be. A repair will look worse than it does now

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Body shops have the flexible bondo glue they use on bumpers it is amazing stays flexible and will not seperate

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would try gluing it if I had the piece, but it's somewhere in the woods. I didn't stop to pick it up.

I used my Dremel to smooth out the edge and make it more of a straight line. I can live with it. I just thought maybe I could rivet something over it to kind of hide it. Like a piece of shaped metal or plastic.

I'll work on some ideas this spring when my garage is warmer than 10 degrees.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
if it's just cracked you could get a plastic welder and melt it back to gether. If you're carful you can get it pretty smooth. But you'll notice the texture difference where the weld is.
Never seen a plastic welder. I could use one for sure. Who makes a good one that wont break my wallet?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It doesn't look that bad......I wouldn't worry about it. I have small chunks out of mine. Adds character! :nzd:

·
Registered
455 Posts
While buzzing through the woods, I managed to snag the front corner of the rear rack on a tree and cracked it off. I cleaned the edge up with a Dremel, and now I'm trying to come up with something I could rivet or glue to the edge to make it look more normal. Anyone have any ideas for me?

The red tint is a custom Polaris color...actually, it is deer blood. I should probably wash that off sometime.
from the picture I had a hard time seeing any damage , but I'm sure it bugs you. You could get the lock-n-ride gun scabbard, the mount would hide the chip. Or like others stated... it adds character. just my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts