Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unsure of the name of the shaft but its the shaft that the oil seal, water pump mechanical and impellar sit on. I have had major issues with a leak since i bought it and when i went to replace the water pump seal i found that the shaft was already broke between the water pump mechanical and the oil seal. So anyone know the name of the part I need to track down to fix this and how difficult is this to replace yourself? I assume it will involve removing the engine? I have a 2002 polaris sportsman 400. Anyone with any advice I would appreciate. I live far in the woods so traveling for repairs would be costly and time consuming. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Latebird I appreciate your assistance a ton. My next question is I have to rip the motor out and take the top off to get to the oil shaft? just trying to figure out if it is worth repair or should i just move on? PS..... long live the 2nd amendment! Molon Lobe!

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
From the manual:

The following components require engine removal for service:
Oil pump / Oil Pump Drive Gear
Counterbalance Shaft or Bearing(s)
Connecting Rod
Crankshaft
Crankshaft Main Bearings
Crankcase

The bad news is the crankcase has to be split to replace the oil/water pump shaft

If you need the service manual I have it in PDF and can email it to you - just PM me an email address and I'll give you a copy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts