Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So after attempting to replace some wheel nuts, that had previously fallen off from an earlier excursion, I snapped a wheel stud and managed to round off another in the process. Doesnt any one have a suggestion as to replacing the hub with the tire still on? I'm pretty sure it will require some cutting to get the old stud off. Also does any one have any recommendation for new wheel nuts, I'm tired of buying the crap ITP ones.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Try clamping some vice grips on the rounded lug nut

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is not being able to get the wheel off. Once I can get the wheel off it's a cake walk.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It will depend on the style of wheels you have. If you have enough of the lug nut sticking out of the tire, take a socket and grind about half of it away. Then put it around the rounded off nut and weld the socket to the lug nut then use a ratchet and welded socket to remove the bad nut and socket.

Another idea would be to take the hub off of the bike with the tire still on the hub. Grind the backside of the wheel stud off so it is flush with the aluminum hub then pound the stud out from the backside. You probably could do this with it on the machine as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't believe I didn't think of that, thanks man you're a genius.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Lets not get carried away with this genius stuff. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sacraficial socket.........find a metric socket that just about fits. Then pound it over the lug nut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts