Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 sportsman 500 with the dump body. It came with a Polaris labeled 2500 winch. One day the winch would not turn. There was power to the electric motor but the barrel was not spinning. After taking it apart I found that there was a gear that was in the electric motor side that spins the barrel that had two of its posts broken off. It was also a Silver dollar sized spring that was also snapped. I have checked with the local dealer and with Polaris and no one can tell me what the spring does or show me how to purchase a replacement. I ordered a new gear and put it back together and it seems to be working fine. I have searched many part listings and part diagrams and have been in contact with Polaris and no one can seem to tell me what this function of the spring is or how to buy a new one. Has anyone had to deal with this issue? Enclosed are some photos of the spring. Again it appears that the winch is working fine and it will retract and come out and also free spools. There was also no part numbers on this winch at all and I believe it was a foreign made wench that had a Polaris sticker put on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If that was near the lock-unlock knob by the spool those things break occasionally.
Warn makes most Polaris winches and you can go to anyone that sell warn winch parts and they'll help you out.
Online too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the spring was between the housing and the motor side and sits on top of the gear I will send another picture of where it was when I took off the motor from the housing. I put the new gear back in but Polaris said they don't know what spring I am talking about. So I put it back together and the electric motor cog engages this gear and I think that the spring was in between both of those.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Polaris winch question

Hi, I have a Polaris sportsman 800 with the same winch i think. It doesn't have any info on it either, not sure if its a warn or not. The same gear that is broken in your is broken in mine and I cant find a place to order it anywhere. I did find out the gear is called coupling brake gear and the part you are looking for I believe is the brake that in between that hear and gear on motor side. I was wondering if you could tell me where you purchased the gear from so I can order one. Not sure where to find the brake spring in yours. Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts