Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 09 550xp really needs brush guards, but here is my dilemma. She fits perfectly in my F250 with 28 Zillas wedged between the closed gate and the bed front. I winch it in and out, so the winch cable, emergency brake and park hold it in place if the gate were to open. I only run it like this for short trips. If I am going a long way I also strap it.

I have assumed that there is no way I can add a brush guard. I guess what I need to know is how far do these things stick out beyond the plane of the font tires and at what height? I guess another way of asking is, if you drive your atv with brush guards up to a wall, how far from the wall are the front of the tires? (and what size tires)?

My bed is 14 inches high and then there are 2 inches to the rear Window. My 28 Zillas touch the bed front at 14 inches. Is theres a brush guard out there that I could fit other than a custom build that wouldn't stop me from truck loading?

I have a toy hauler that will only fit 1 atv so I can't add another trailer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure of the height without measuring but I know my factory brush guard is definitely higher than the front plane of the tires and it is just over 5" from the front of the grille to the front of the brush guard.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What is the length of your truck bed? I have front and rear brush guards and I have probably a foot of space (between front and rear) left in my 8 foot trailer with quad onboard.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think my bed is almost 6' 7in. (06 crew cab is 6-9 less about 2in for the liner). From those pictures it looks like height is not the issue. But it does look like it sticks out more than 2 in. Beyond the front of the tires. If someone could just push theirs up to a wall in neutral and measure to the front of their wheels I would be most appreciative. Hard to tell just from the pictures, but thanks.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Sounds like a tight fit without leaving the tailgate down. I'll measure for you next week when near quad if you don't have an answer by then.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ran out and measured mine Adds just about 3 inches to the front and 3 inches to the back

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not a problem
Just for some other info from the ground up To the lowest part of the front guard is 23 1/2 inches
And from ground up on back..... to the lowest point is 24 "

That would be about a half inch shorter on stock tires

Z

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Judenn22, what diameter tires do you have? That overall length is way longer than the length between front and back tires. With my 28's the length is almost exactly 79 inches. What model brush guard do you have.?

It is just going to be so close and I need to really get it down to about an inch so I have enough rear Window clearance to avoid smashing it on a hard stop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sportsman XP deluxe brush guards ...My tire measures 83 inches

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks, I mean your tire size (26,27,28?) it is only the front of the atv that I am concerned about. For example, if you are running on 26, then your 3 inches will be closer to 2 on mine (with an inch more tire radius)

I assume other guards might mount even closer to the headlights.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There 27x9x14 They're not much taller than my stock 26x9x14
Only like a half inch

I think some other smaller guards do sit close to the headlights

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I had this same problem. What I did was this.... I went out and got a set of plastic car ramps. I screwed each one to a stack of 24" long 2"x10"s for extra height. I put the ramps at the front of the box. Now, with the tires on the ramps, the front tires are touching the front of the bed and the front brush guard is away from the window.

Mark

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark, do you mean those big black plastic car ramps about 10 inches high? I wonder if I can still winch up on them with the anchor point almost straight down? Gives me another possibility though. Thank you.

I am wondering if anyone with a Guru bumper could measure their drop back to the tire. From the pictures it looks like this may be one of the closest fitting guards?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yup, those are the ones

Mark

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Mark, do you mean those big black plastic car ramps about 10 inches high? I wonder if I can still winch up on them with the anchor point almost straight down?........

Don't see that happening.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts