1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
What is Bubba Rope?

·
Registered
422 Posts
2 of my friends use it for off roading with the jeeps and they like it. Kinda pricey . Usually gets good reviews from the off road mags IIRC....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Never heard of it before. They have one with a 74,000lb pull strength. That's crazy for rope. Comes with a crazy $419 dollar price to match.
Cool product that is way out of my price range.

·
Registered
815 Posts
They are the thing to have in the off road world. Almost all the raptors I off road with carry one. Even just towing someone, it takes out that snap and jerk when the rope looses tension.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We use them too pull out atv's. They work really good, a lot faster than using the winch and easy to pack up. We broke one yanking on a rzr but it gets the atv's out everytime.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Went to their web site to find out about it, and ordered a set of ratchet straps. Made in the USA ! Finally found some good straps

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
oh hear in WA we call that houser line. It's FANTASTIC! it stretches and gives you 3-4x the pull strength. some people also call it fairy line. because that's what they use to tie off the fairy's and the big boat in the harbor. I've pulled many a 1 ton out of thick mud with houser line and my old S-10 pick up. Pricey, but well worth it. interesting that they have ATV sized ones now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Or.. you could buy one of the lighter weight snatch straps on ebay and save a fortune. Snatch straps have been around forever and do exactly the same thing that the bubba rope does.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Umm, looks like regular old double-braided nylon line that's available at any marine supply store. You can either splice it yourself (youtube has several tutorials) or buy it spliced.

Docking/mooring line would also work well for ATV applications.

Dip the ends in plasti-dip and you pretty much have a bubba rope for 1/4 of the price. If you're splicing the eyes yourself, you can add a thimble in the eye to protect it from wear.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Houser line is usually like 1.5" diameter or bigger. at least that's all I've seen of it. and definitely stronger than the normal double braided line from the marine supply. the one I had back in the day was 5 or more layers thick.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Houser line is usually like 1.5" diameter or bigger. at least that's all I've seen of it. and definitely stronger than the normal double braided line from the marine supply. the one I had back in the day was 5 or more layers thick.
Yeah, in the maritime world, when you say hawser, you're talking about a towline that's as thick as your arm… We carry 6" and 8" double-braid nylon hawsers on our ship. We're only about 2000 tons, so since we can't tow the really huge ships, we don't carry anything bigger.

The seagoing tugs up here typically use Puget Sound's Plasma 12-strand as towline. Mooring lines for big boats up here are normally 8-strand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts