Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my parts back from latebird today for my 98 polaris xplorer 300 which need the cylinder bored and such. As i was putting the piston on the 2nd cir clip was deciding to be a complete bitch and didnt want to go in. I finally got it in after 30 mins of trying or so I thought and then the son of a bitch decides as soon as i stand up to grab the cylinder it wants to pop out and fall straight into the motor. At first I didnt realize untill I grabbed the piston to pull it up and put on the cylinder. It spins a bit and then locks up. Couldn't figure out why until I checked to see if the cir clip was still there and guess what it wasn't and now my bottom end is locked up and I cant get the cir clip out any way. So yeah that was my day and if anyone knows of a way to get it out without tearing the whole bottom end apart please let me know.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
175 Posts
Maybe air pressure to dislodge it and the magnetic pick up tool?

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
175 Posts
I feel for ya, same thing happened to me quite a few years ago. I got lucky and the clip stuck to the oil film on the crank weight, retrieved it with a magnet.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Colt, you need to have the clutch cover off so you can rotate the crankshaft in either direction - try turning it in both directions to see which way it turns easiest and try to dislodge the c-clip then either use compressed air to blow it out or a magnet on a stick. Next time, stuff a shop towel around the rod to prevent parts from falling into the crankcase. If the c-clip is distorted, let me know and I will send a replacement - a bent clip will come out when the engine is running - you could also use a std. internal snap ring from a farm, automotive supply or hardware store - just hace to take the piston to assure you get the correct size. It needs to fit tight enough it can't be turned unless released with snap ring pliers. If it turns with a pick or piece of wire in just one of the holes, it's too lose and will come out when the engine is running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got it out. Still looked perfect no bends looked like brand new except the color from my dirty hands. Just now I cant get the cylinder to go on. But no biggie ill get it just being one of those projects that nothing is going easy. Thank you latebird for all the help with everything on this machine of mine.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Just have patience - remember that the rings are pinned and have to be in the right spot to compress and go into the cylinder - the rings can't just be in any old spot, the ends of the rings have to close over the pins.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yessir I got it all together but my damn belt cover was left in the sun and now shrunk to where I cant even ride the damn thing

·
10,595 Posts
Yessir I got it all together but my damn belt cover was left in the sun and now shrunk to where I cant even ride the damn thing
Huh??? Never heard of a clutch cover shrinking lol... In the sun or otherwise. There's a lot of these old machines that sit in the sun for 25 years and don't shrink. They'll fade and crack and rust and deteriorate but never saw one shrink.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh??? Never heard of a clutch cover shrinking lol... In the sun or otherwise. There's a lot of these old machines that sit in the sun for 25 years and don't shrink. They'll fade and crack and rust and deteriorate but never saw one shrink.
Man I dont know its crazy with the luck im having about everything on it. I took it off to take clutch off and such to get to cylinder nuts easier and left it out there for about 3 weeks in mostly shade but for an hour or 2 a day the sun hit it and i swear it shrunk although it already had problems as the previous owner had overheated the belt or something and it shrunk to it so he cut it. Now the whole damn thing shrunk where the bolts dont line up and i managed to get 2 out of 7 on and then it wouldn't pull over unless you were trying to throw it into the next county over.

·
10,595 Posts
Well now they will deform from overheating and age. Sounds like you may need a new one or a good used form ebay or Powersports Nation

1 - 16 of 16 Posts