Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was watching trucks on spike tv this morning and they were doing a bit on the BullyDog facility and they announced they are starting development on Powersports programming starting with POLARIS! Finally a major manufacture of aftermarket programmers is venturing into the Powersports game and of all thing they picked Polaris to be there first flagship to boot! What are y'all's thought on this, I'm personally psyched about it!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Great news! But, be prepared for posts like this...' I put a 50HP BD on my Polaris, it blew up, and Polaris is junk!!'

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Great news! But, be prepared for posts like this...' I put a 50HP BD on my Polaris, it blew up, and Polaris is junk!!'
:lmao:

So true. Hopefully, there will finally be a great programmer for Polaris.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There are already about 10 brands of controllers out there for power sports. Couple of the biggest are dobeck and dynojet. They will likely do well in the market, but remember the computers on these things are very simple. Not like a vehicle where you can manipulate fuel, and timing. All you can really do is as or subtract fuel at certain rpm and throttle position. And even that depends on the brand of controller.

Bigirard, what's a great programmer consist of?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point about BullyDog coming out with one for our fourwheelers is because I big company like them can make them at a cost that is more competitive than thoughts that are solely making them for Powersports and nothing else so theirs tend to be a little pricey. But I could be wrong and they may cost more than what's out there but for a company with a reputation like BullyDog I'd be more willing to go with them.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
My point about BullyDog coming out with one for our fourwheelers is because I big company like them can make them at a cost that is more competitive than thoughts that are solely making them for Powersports and nothing else so theirs tend to be a little pricey. But I could be wrong and they may cost more than what's out there but for a company with a reputation like BullyDog I'd be more willing to go with them.
Exactly!! I saw the episode, they will be fully emissions compliant, and Bullydog leaves no traces on the ECM

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly!! I saw the episode, they will be fully emissions compliant, and Bullydog leaves no traces on the ECM

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
I didn't see the episode in question, but I'm wondering if they are leaning more towards sleds rather than atv? Just typing out loud here ;)
Also, not leaving a trace on the ECM....they do on a vehicles ECM, why would this be any different?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
They are doing RZR/ATV's too, was mentioned by them on the show. Sleds are not as abundant as atv and utv, that is a huge matket.Other programmers on the market leave a mark in the ECM, BD is one of they few that don't.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The dobeck stuff I sell leaves no trace on an ecm, unplug and right back to stock. All the Polaris tunners run $225-250. About the best bang for the buck out there. Curious to see what Bully dog comes up with.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wonder how much of a difference there is on the 850's? Worth it? Is K&N worth it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
^^^ Me too! How much gain is there really? It's def been on my radar... Which one and why?

(@ the programmer that is. .. I've heard a few stories about k&n filters in our 850's)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
K&N filters work, but you NEED to run an outer wear on them. They are higher flowing because of the larger holes in them. They will let more dirt past. A High flow filter and a Dobeck programmer are claimed to be good for 3-5HP. I can't comment on the other MFG's as I don't have the info. I do know the Dynojets perform well on them, but cost $400 vs $225 for the 850. I prefer the Dobeck stuff as it's programmable without a computer, anywhere with a few button pushes. Takes only a few minutes to install and program to the base level and then you can fine tune from there as you see fit. Anywhere. In the garage, on the trail, at the lake. Wherever you feel you need to make an adjustment. Here's a link to the 50 tuner with full instructions to check out. If you like it and want one, let me know. They ship free too.

EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes

·
Registered
160 Posts
What about the Uni filter?

Which programmer gives you the best results? What are the gains with the pcv?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
What about the Uni filter?

Which programmer gives you the best results? What are the gains with the pcv?
Uni filters work as good as k&N IMO. The pcv will give the same and probably better gains of your spend the time and money on dyno tuning. They have way more adjustability than most others, but it comes at a price. All really comes down to how much you want to spend too get 4hp preset, or 5-6 after hours of work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
...Bigirard, what's a great programmer consist of?
I was wondering that too.

I've been tuning late-model EFI Harley's for several years now. I've used "programmers" (and I use that term with some reservation) that are nothing more then fuel-adding types up to and including full-featured PC-based tuning programs.

While it is very appealing for many to simply use one of the "add fuel only" type "tuners", one would be better served to learn and understand how an EFI system actually works. It is not always beneficial to simply add fuel across the board.

Lots of other tables beside fuel come into play that can greatly affect the performance and efficiency of an engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We'll I was curious when all the critics were going to chime in, I simply started this thread to compliment the fact that a major company like BullyDog was interested in getting into Powersports and wanted to start with Polaris over all the rest. I also want it to be understood that I'm not ignorant when it comes to "tuning" as I'm feeling y'all are implying. If you really think about it all the market had available before efi was "jet" Kia which do nothing but "add" more fuel for the purpose of not running too "lean" when an exhaust and high flow air filter are added. Please understand that all some of us need is a little extra fuel to get us where we want to be so for y'all to be criticizing our reasons is unneeded and unwelcome. To all the other enthusiast out there please don't pay attention to others when they try to question our methods.

·
Registered
160 Posts
...I simply started this thread to compliment the fact that a major company like BullyDog was interested in getting into Powersports and wanted to start with Polaris over all the rest.
Thanks for letting us all know. That is great news! They do great work in the truck world for sure! I look forward to reading all about it. A programmer is def on my list for things to do.

I had my questions too... and this was def news to me. Thanks.

Also, my bike would gladly be a guinea pig in this experiment... if needed!!! lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...I simply started this thread to compliment the fact that a major company like BullyDog was interested in getting into Powersports and wanted to start with Polaris over all the rest.
Thanks for letting us all know. That is great news! They do great work in the truck world for sure! I look forward to reading all about it. A programmer is def on my list for things to do.

I had my questions too... and this was def news to me. Thanks.

Also, my bike would gladly be a guinea pig in this experiment... if needed!!! lol
Thanks bud, I'm also a guinea pig participant since I have a K&N air filter and a Looney Tuned Exhaust.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We'll I was curious when all the critics were going to chime in, I simply started this thread to compliment the fact that a major company like BullyDog was interested in getting into Powersports and wanted to start with Polaris over all the rest. I also want it to be understood that I'm not ignorant when it comes to "tuning" as I'm feeling y'all are implying. If you really think about it all the market had available before efi was "jet" Kia which do nothing but "add" more fuel for the purpose of not running too "lean" when an exhaust and high flow air filter are added. Please understand that all some of us need is a little extra fuel to get us where we want to be so for y'all to be criticizing our reasons is unneeded and unwelcome. To all the other enthusiast out there please don't pay attention to others when they try to question our methods.
Good grief...not sure why you've gotten your panties in such a knot.

I'm guessing it has not occurred to you that some of us have gone through a rather extensive learning curve with respect to understanding and applying the unique features of the EFI system.

Speaking only for myself, I am willing to share that experience with those that are truly interested in learning the somewhat complex theory and application of the computer controlled system many of our machines enjoy today.

I have absolutely no intention or desire to criticize your reasoning for doing anything to your machine. Frankly, I really don't give a flip what you do to it.

But to suggest to other members here they too should "not pay any attention to others..." on this (or any subject of interest to them) is a bit condescending to say the least.

Maybe you didn't read this part but here's just a little of why this forum came into being in the first place...

The forum was created for Polaris owners and enthusiasts to learn, discuss, and share knowledge...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts