Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think is the more important to put on first? The front bumper or the rear bumper? Gonna add one just dont know what to get first. Was thinking rear first just cuz i do a lot of plowing and backing up....but winter is over half over so maybe i shld get the front for summer riding.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Personally, I'd protect the front first. I'm always bumping into something on the trails... I'm surprised I haven't permanently damaged the front plastic on my machine yet. I'll be adding a Moose front bumper in the next few weeks.

A couple things to remember, your radiator is up front. It's a lot more delicate than anything out back. Also, you're more likely to bump into something at a higher speed with the front. Most of the time, when you bump something while backing up, it's at a pretty slow speed which lessens the likelyhood of damaging something.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Front. Not a lot of bashing thru brush in reverse. I would rather crack my ATV plastic then dent my car with its bumper

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I went with the front first. Like jgcoastie said, radiator is up front and needs protection. That was my main objective,protect the radiator.
You are usually going forward not backwards. So the rear was less of a concern. I found a used rear so went ahead and picked it up. After seeing some vids a rear might not be a bad idea if you ride in a group. Several of the vids showed a guy stopping, and his buddy not paying attention runs right into his ass end. LOL

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea good point with protecting the front. We all got that buddy that rides to close n cld rear end ya but I think I'll get rear second

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who makes the best bumpers

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Guru bumpers. Hands down.

Front first.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Guru. Order now so you have it for season. Worth the wait. John is good people.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
front. guru. there is a waiting period so ordering sooner then later helps.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Viking is the basically the same thing as the Guru with a quicker turn around....

·
8,739 Posts
If you ride a lot with friends like mine, the rear will get a workout. I've been hit in the rear more times than I can count. I put front and rear on at the same time when I first got the 800 I have now. The second ride out, I got plowed in the rear by a buddy who was looking down at his machine when I stopped to take a leak. He never even touched a brake. Tore the whole front bumper and rack off his Grizz and made only a small little quarter-sized dent in my new rear bumper. The rear bumper paid for itself 10 times over in that one collision alone. If not for my shiny new rear bumper, he would have probably taken out both mufflers, both tail lights, broken the plastic and likely would have gotten the rear rack and rack extender too.
In 9000 miles I've only bumped the front very lightly once when I wasn't paying attention. I do however, use the front to push and ride over small trees and brush sometimes and I've used it to push other stuck machines on occasion. To me, the rear bumper is necessary equipment to prevent expensive damage and the front is just a convenient option.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
One of the ATV shows on the Outdoor Channel had a group riding and they stopped for a photo op, or lunch break. The camera guy is filming one of the hosts who is about to dismount and ....Wham! A guy busy gawking at others standing around ran right into the back end of the hosts quad. It bucked the second guy forward and he ended up hitting the gas harder. Tires were spinning,dust was flying. I laughed so hard I almost had tears.
I'm trying to remember if maybe Discount Tire was along??? Anyway, pretty good proof that you need protection from your friends sometimes more than you do the elements! :nzd:

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
both have their place, but I need the front far more often then I need the rear so I went front first. I'll do a rear in the next couple months, but I'll make that myself.

·
Registered
434 Posts
None of my friends have rammed me in the rear. We're just not into that. :add_wegbrech:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you ride a lot with friends like mine, the rear will get a workout. I've been hit in the rear more times than I can count. I put front and rear on at the same time when I first got the 800 I have now. The second ride out, I got plowed in the rear by a buddy who was looking down at his machine when I stopped to take a leak. He never even touched a brake. Tore the whole front bumper and rack off his Grizz and made only a small little quarter-sized dent in my new rear bumper. The rear bumper paid for itself 10 times over in that one collision alone. If not for my shiny new rear bumper, he would have probably taken out both mufflers, both tail lights, broken the plastic and likely would have gotten the rear rack and rack extender too.
In 9000 miles I've only bumped the front very lightly once when I wasn't paying attention. I do however, use the front to push and ride over small trees and brush sometimes and I've used it to push other stuck machines on occasion. To me, the rear bumper is necessary equipment to prevent expensive damage and the front is just a convenient option.

Sounds like you need a better group of riders to go with more than a bumper!

I would flip out if one of my friends smashed into my machine like that.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm the only one that rides a 4x4 everyone else is on sport quads so if they rear end me with a bumper it might damn near kill em

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the site for guru bumpers

·
8,739 Posts
LOL...yeah, some of my friends get a little rowdy and rambunctious sometimes. I should have mentioned that I usually ride out front and play the role of tour director and navigator. I know most of the trails we ride regularly and have a GPS mounted. I also get maps and download satellite images of everywhere we travel. Besides that, I ride the only big bore machine in the group and there's no dust out front. :D
I was a little upset at first when the Grizz got my brand new bumper, but after I saw the tiny little mark it made on mine and the total destruction it did to the Yamaha, it was hilarious. I was just stepping off so no harm to me and he earned the nickname "Crash" which has stuck with him to this day. He was totally embarrassed. I had told him earlier in the day that if that Grizzly messed with my "Gorilla" it would chew him up and spit him out...and it did!:rotflmao:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL...yeah, some of my friends get a little rowdy and rambunctious sometimes. I should have mentioned that I usually ride out front and play the role of tour director and navigator. I know most of the trails we ride regularly and have a GPS mounted. I also get maps and download satellite images of everywhere we travel. Besides that, I ride the only big bore machine in the group and there's no dust out front. :D
I was a little upset at first when the Grizz got my brand new bumper, but after I saw the tiny little mark it made on mine and the total destruction it did to the Yamaha, it was hilarious. I was just stepping off so no harm to me and he earned the nickname "Crash" which has stuck with him to this day. He was totally embarrassed. I had told him earlier in the day that if that Grizzly messed with my "Gorilla" it would chew him up and spit him out...and it did!:rotflmao:
Ha nice!!! Love hearing about grizzlies getting tore up by a polaris

1 - 20 of 54 Posts