Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out on the trails on Saturday and broke my beautiful Sportsman. Problem is, is that I have no idea what I broke. I am bringing it in to get fixed, but I want to get an idea from you guys what the problem may be.
I tried going over a tree root uphill in high gear...dumb on my part. As I was giving it gas, my belt started to smoke. I immediately stopped and then realized I wasn't in low:shocked1: Now when I try to move, the back tires sputter like they are trying to catch...Checked my rear U joints and they are loose causing them to make a clunking noise. Is it the U joints that are broke? Or something else that is causing this?
Also doesn't help that I don't have an aftermarket clutch kit for my huge tires...that's maybe why it broke? Getting an aftermarket this week....

Any ideas on this? Thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Probably smoked the belt. Before you bring it in, pull the clutch cover and have a look. Get ahold of me for a clutch kit when you're ready and you can avoid this issue in the future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the clutch cover off yesterday. Belt looks perfect. Doesn't looked frayed or broken. I lifted the back wheels yesterday and put it in 2WD to see what the belt looks like when I give it gas. Belt spins fine, but tires are sputtering...like they are trying to turn but something is getting in the way. And the rear U Joints are loose...and when I give it gas, the U joints are making a clunking noise (sounds like they are hitting).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably smoked the belt. Before you bring it in, pull the clutch cover and have a look. Get ahold of me for a clutch kit when you're ready and you can avoid this issue in the future.
I am pretty much in the market for a clutch kit now. What do you offer and do you ship to Canada? Unfortunatley, I don't have an arm and a leg to spend:werd:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You might have a problem in the rear diff.

I am a dealer for qsc. Have their full line of products for Polaroid, cam am, and Kawasaki. I definitely audio to Canada, or anywhere else in the world. Looking at your sig, you will likely need the complete kit with springs, weights, and a helix change. That retails for $339 shipped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you spin the tires freely with the rear tires jacked up?
Nope. When I spin the back tires, they start to go and then they get stuck where i have to turn them harder. When that happens, that clunking noise happens. I can get the whole tire around, but something is causing them to spin "not so freely" and clunk! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts