Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my "newb-ness". I am new to ATV's and am looking to buy one and looking hard at the Sportsman 570 EFI. I would mainly be riding on cut trails, logging roads, farm land, some heavy mud but not deep and an occasional shallow creek crossing. I wouldn't be towing anything but may do some gravel driveway maintenance if I can find a box spreader that can do an adequate job. Pretty basic stuff really, no high-speed running or boggin. i generally take good care of my gear too so I'll keep maintenance up on anything I get.

I realize this is a Polaris forum but most of the posters seem to have a lot of experience on various brands and models so I hope I can get some good advice. I've narrowed my choices down to either a Sportsman 570 EFI or a Suzuki Kingquad 500 AXI.

In I like the "extra" features of the Polaris (3 headlights[mod], storage) but the Suzuki feels a little more sturdy. I also like the shifter placement because I'm a tall guy (6'4") and picture my knee jamming into the shifter on the polaris when I have an extra rider. It also has the locking differential which seems like one of those things you won't use often but be glad you have it when you do. I also like the 12mo warranty of the suzuki and they're doing a 5yr 0% financing right now.

After leaning towards the Sportsman Ive started favoring the Suzuki but am not sure. I can get the suzuki for about $500 more, which while minimal is still a sizable chunk of cash.

Any thoughts on one or the other? Again, I expect a Polaris bias but appreciate honest feedback.

Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was in the same situation.. I guess ride them both but the ride of the sportsman did it for me and the price.. I had a Suzuki vinsion at one time and it was a reliable quad but rode like a brick.. Take your time compare them both good luck..

·
Registered
619 Posts
Spec-wise, they're pretty close, so its really going to be up to your preference. As mentioned already, its a safe bet that the Sportsman is going to be noticeably more comfortable. Ride comfort is their claim-to-fame. I'm 6'1, and I've very comfortable on it. Any 1-up machine can feel cramped w/ a passenger, regardless of brand, I wouldn't factor that in too much. The AWD system on the Polaris is arguably the best out there, one of the only brands that has true 4 wheel drive. I don't know the details of the Suzuki 4x4 system, but it's also a safe bet that the Polaris would win on this front. But it doesn't sound like you are going to be riding extreme terrain so the 'best of the best' AWD may not be your priority. The storage compartment on the sportsman is a huge plus; idk where I'd carry all of the stuff I keep in there if I didn't have it. And not for nothing, but the 570 is 70cc bigger, which is about 15% more powerful. That's substantial and will be noticeable.

Suzuki KQ's are renown for their long-term reliability. My neighbor has one that's nearly 20yrs old and he's literally never had a single problem. There are many Polaris's that are trouble-free also, but I'd probably rate them a B+ for reliability, in my experience and from what I've read on here. I don't think you'd have many/any problems on a new value-line sportsman for years, but it may not last 20...

You'll enjoy either but if you're going to spend 7 grand, you might as well make sure you get the one you like and feel most confident with.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would say comfort wise, the 570 would be better.
Reliability wise, the suzuki will last longer.

Totally unbiased Opinion ******

I am not a "Polaris Brand Guy." I buy them because they are a great machine for the money. HOWEVER, I think that the Japanese bikes are built alot better, with better fit and finish, than the domestics. To me the big deciding factor between these 2 would go to the 570. It has more power, and quite honestly LOOKS WAY better. (I am quite shallow when it comes to atvs - lol) I don't think any of the machines around these days will be around 20 years from now, they just don't build them like they used to.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Either one will be a good machine. Even though I own a 570, I'm not going to biased as I did not even look into Suzuki. Go to the dealers, take a test drive, pick the one you like best. Hope your happy with whatever machine you pick.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Suzuki makes a damn good ATV, IMO one of the most underrated machines out there are the KingQuads. I actually almost bought a 750AXi but i got a smoking deal on my 500HO. You get more features for your money with the 570, more power, better ergo's, better ride. Drive them both everybodys different. The Suzuki will be more "refined"
Reliability is only as good as the person maintain/operating the machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found out the dealer doesn't do test rides...something about insurance, not keeping batteries/fuel in the ATV and folks won't buy it if there are miles on it.

Don't know what to make of that. I couldn't find any complaints on the dealer through BBB or the great all knowing Google.

Supposedly they were ranked #4 in the nation for Suzuki on sales volume and customer satisfaction. I'm not quite sure how to validate that, some quick googling didn't find anything helpful nor was there anything straight off the Suzuki web site.

They just got the Polaris dealership a few weeks ago but I talked to the old dealership and they spoke highly of the new one. Though I'm not sure how much stock to put into that. I do know the old dealership had high ratings from some personal friends that did business with them.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Its definitely helpful!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Find another Polaris/Suzuki dealership that u can test ride at. You can still go back to the dealer you like to purchase. Just an idea

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have been looking at the King Quad also. I really like the 0% interest rate they have going right now. I know alot of people who have old King Quads and ride em like they stole them and not one problem I know of. Some Polaris's are the same way and I have one of them and I also have one of the not so good ones. It is a hard decision for me and I know for a first time buyer it is even harder. Sit on them, ask questions, rub em, just do whatever it takes to make up your mind. You don't want to spend the big bucks then decide later down the road you didn't make the right decision. I think you would be happy with either one.

Ronnie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just laid down the deposit on the 570. I wasn't able to find a place around to do a test drive but the feel of the two just sitting was pretty comparable. Based on feedback here and from friends who have owned multiple brands I opted for the Polaris. I figured the heralded "great ride" of the Polaris and bigger engine, not to mention slightly lower price were the deal makers.

I'll be picking it up later today but unfortunately, they don't have the rack extenders and bumpers in stock so I'll have to wait a little while for those. I'll be taking it easy so hopefully won't need the bumpers right away.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and counsel.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
First day out...got her a little muddied and bloodied. It was a great morning to be out. Temp was in the low 30s and sunny. Killed a nice size doe as well. I managed to get about 8 miles on her today total.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hehehe. You had a good day. First ride on a your new atv and you got to bag a deer while you were out. Nice !

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm really loving mine so far. Plenty of power and does great pulling me and decoys through the marsh and rice fields chasing ducks and geese.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Just found out the dealer doesn't do test rides...something about insurance, not keeping batteries/fuel in the ATV and folks won't buy it if there are miles on it.

Don't know what to make of that. I couldn't find any complaints on the dealer through BBB or the great all knowing Google.

Supposedly they were ranked #4 in the nation for Suzuki on sales volume and customer satisfaction. I'm not quite sure how to validate that, some quick googling didn't find anything helpful nor was there anything straight off the Suzuki web site.

They just got the Polaris dealership a few weeks ago but I talked to the old dealership and they spoke highly of the new one. Though I'm not sure how much stock to put into that. I do know the old dealership had high ratings from some personal friends that did business with them.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Its definitely helpful!
what dealers are you looking at? Down in Petersburg?

You need to ride them both to decide..it really is that simple. As has been stated, the polaris is going to ride better and have more power....the king is a damn fine machine by all accounts..those that have them rarely seem to have issues...that being said, I cannot tell you the last time I have seen one on the trail...they just dont seem to be too popular around here

edit...my bad..I didnt realize you already bought one..congrats on the new quad and the doe!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Anyone considering the King Quad, get power steering with it. The bar whip is pretty bad when you hit rocks. I would still be riding my old KQ 700 if it weren't for the bars twisting over rough terrain.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Anyone considering the King Quad, get power steering with it. The bar whip is pretty bad when you hit rocks. I would still be riding my old KQ 700 if it weren't for the bars twisting over rough terrain.
This is true, the steering geometry of the King Quad is HORRIBLE!!!! That's the biggest negative on the king quad IMO. The atv itself is not the BEST at anything, its just good at everything. Awesome machines.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts