Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, hello.

Looking to purchase my first 4 wheeler. Rode my fathers quiet a bit as a teenager, then got into dirt bikes for a few years. By the time I was 21, fell in love with snowmobiling, had a couple Polaris sleds. It just isn't practical for me anymore, short seasons, can't really ride from my house, and can't really take off every weekend to trailer up north with 2 kids anymore.

Anyway, going to purchase a new 4 wheeler soon. Mainly for trail riding, some camping, might plow with it. Trails are pretty hilly and rocky, lot of steam crossings. Don't think I'll be into seeking out the mud, but there'll be plenty of it. I'm pretty settled on a sportsman 850 premium, but only thing I'm really concerned about is the AWD. I haven't been around 4 wheeling really since the 90s, everything I remember had diff lock. I don't know I'm sure it works fine, but do you ever wish you could just lock it into 4x4?

Question I couldn't really find an answer to, do these come with a skidplate or are they necessary to add?

Any know issues with the sportsman 850s, or any "must do's" or "must adds"

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,194 Posts
1609454561677.gif
to the forum
1609274900724.gif

Your question has been logged into the queue and it will be answered by the next available forum member shortly

Reactions: Doc8404 and Luann

·
Registered
412 Posts
Our riding group has quite a few sportsmans and a few grizzlies. I've got one of each. I've never seen a grizzly with diff lock go somewhere one of the sportsmans could not.

As far as skid plates go, if your going to be riding over big rocks, its a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Polaris is all wheel drive engages the front wheels as soon as it detects the rears are slipping it has never let me down

Reactions: Luann and MrEd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polaris is all wheel drive engages the front wheels as soon as it detects the rears are slipping it has never let me down
Right, but without having ever experiencing it, seems like there would be times you would not want to have to spin the rear to get the front engaged?

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
You will never notice when it kicks in

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
AWD is not an option on an 850, they all come with it!!

Reactions: Luann

·
Premium Member
11,330 Posts
Polaris AWD is SUPERIOR to anything on the market. No other 4-wheel drive system is even close!!!! You have to buy skids!!!!!! My bud bought a 2020 1k Trail back in February took him riding maybe 15 minutes from you. Well he dinged a few rocks and got a bad shake in the machine. Bottom plate on the frame dented up and was contacting the oil pan. Long story short had to get a welder buddy to get it all fixed up. What a PIA!!! I would do Ceccos frame braces and for shits and giggles I'd do the diff cover as well!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the trail package on the 2021 850 upgrade the tires? Or is it just the bumpers, winch, and spring paint?

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
842 Posts
I agree with everyone else. The Polaris AWD system is by far the best 4WD drive system out there. You get true 4 wheel tire spin when you need it and only rear 2WD when you don't. The amount of rear tire spin necessary to engage the front tires is not perceptible. Unlike the Visco Lok or other such 4WD systems where a certain amount of noticeable wheel spin is necessary before both front tires engage. The beauty is that you can ride in AWD all day under differt terrain conditions and the front tires won't engage unless necessary. Other systems have you driving around 2WD, then stop, switch to 4WD, and then "oh no I'm stuck, let me try 4WD lock!" Too late my friend.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
842 Posts
Does the trail package on the 2021 850 upgrade the tires? Or is it just the bumpers, winch, and spring paint?
Winch and bumpers only

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
528 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I had a yamaha with diff lock and it was a booger to turn all locked up but it went wear it was pointed. I get the same traction with the polaris, with twice the power, more comfortable ride and no problem turning, even without power steering.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
842 Posts
Get the best bumpers made here..
atv-guru.com
Better off getting the premium model and only adding on the winch and getting the ATV-guru bumpers. They are more expensive, but they are "bumpers" as opposed to the cheap tin that Polaris tries to sell, which btw I have, so I am speaking from experience.

The 850 comes with factory plastic skids which are good enough if you aren't pounding rocks. You will want to dielectric grease all connections if going through water and get a bearing greaser, 44mm.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
I leaned with my arm on a Polaris OEM bumper in the dealership showroom and it bent. JUNK

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
842 Posts
I leaned with my arm on a Polaris OEM bumper in the dealership showroom and it bent. JUNK
But they do look killer! Pretty good at deflecting cattails as well :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
The rear bumper is so designed to catch all the mud and rot and rust out in six months.

Reactions: Luann

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good to know about the bumpers, will check out the guru ones. Might make more sense to skip the trail package if the bumpers are crap and no tires. What about the polaris metal skid plates? Any good or should I look elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts