Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1995 Polaris xplorer 400L. My question is Do I have to remove the oil pump complete from the motor or just make sure the plate is on and cap off the oil line going to the motor. Then premix oil and gas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You can leave it as is and just premix. However, if your pump is working that's the best for your engine as it adjust the fuel : oil ratio based on need. Less chance of fouling plugs and mixing oil and gas sucks. In all my years of flying ultralight airplanes Pennzoil for air cooled engines was the top choice. In a Rotax engine the oil pump at idle feeds at 70:1 and at WOT it's 50:1 so quite a bit of difference. Most of the engines hung upside down so plug fouling was a major concern but I never had an issue running Pennzoil premixed or through the pump. Some people worry about pump failure but they are extremely rare.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Look up aaen. They make a kit to premix and do away with the pump.

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bypassing oil pump

Thanks for your input, The pump on there now is trashed. I guess I can replace it. Did not really want to spend the money on a new pump, but I will if Yall think it would work better. I am new to the ATV world so I am learning. I really appreciated everyone's input.

Thanks,

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I bypassed the pump and premixed it was a real pain and I never could get the mix just right so I fiddled with the pump till I got it working right and the quad ran much better. The pump is always better if you can get it working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts