Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Why don't you give us more to go on? Like engine size, air or liquid cooled, motor number, frame number or perhaps the part number that was imprinted on the cable. The question you are asking is akin to someone asking for the black box with 7 wires going to it for their Ford F150 without knowing the year model, engine size, transmission or anything else.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you give us more to go on? Like engine size, air or liquid cooled, motor number, frame number or perhaps the part number that was imprinted on the cable. The question you are asking is akin to someone asking for the black box with 7 wires going to it for their Ford F150 without knowing the year model, engine size, transmission or anything else.
Ok. Here is my dilemma. I wish to swap out the thumb throttle lever assembly on a ‘98 400 XPress with a newer style assembly. The hurtle I’m facing is the cable. The 98 XPress is a 2 stroke. Thus the cable is made to attach to a carb and to the oil pump on one end and to the thumb lever assembly of the day on the other end. That cable end is much different than that of the newer version. From what I’ve seen the end of the throttle cable is the same on all of the newer. An example would be 2015 ETX.
So I guess my question remains. Does anybody know of a year and model of a machine with a thumb lever assembly like the one shown in the opening post and has a 2 stroke engine. If such a machine was built I could then look up the cable part number.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Now I understand - you want a custom cable without buying a custom cable. That's easy - just buy a roll of cable housing, a roll of cable wire, the ferrules, the ends and make one. Hell, I was doing that when I was 15 years old and building Harley Choppers. The pic is of my 57 Pan Head that I built in 1968 - the frame was a 1947 hard-tail and the springer was OEM harley - note no front brake - to be street legal, I had to have two ways of applying the rear brake - ala, cable from brake lever attached to the rear brake pedal (custom cable - I made it myself)

Finding a cable that fits, good luck. Need to know the free length of the inner wire and the OAL of the housing. The ball ends just need to be matched and you are in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The cable was used on the following models:

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Part number 7080615

Mark