Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:
I have a 2016 Sportsman 570 and I was able to pick up some new old stock OEM Polaris LED headlights (part 2878542). To properly install these I would need to get harness part number 2878624 which has been discontinued for some time and is impossible to find. Harness kit 2878533 was included with my headlights but that harness is made for a Ranger / RZR. If you aren't familiar with this harness and kit, it runs all new wiring. You cap off the wires that go to the stock headlights and run power to the new harness which has a three way switch / relay and then runs new wires to each headlight. One setting on the switch is off, one setting is just half the lights in the LED are on and the third setting is all the lights in the LED are on.

Each LED headlight has three wires run to it - power for half of lights, power to other half of lights and ground (I am assuming). The stock wiring just has two wires - power and ground (I am assuming).

In a perfect world I wouldnt use this switch at all and I could wire them up to the existing "LO" thumb switch that currently controls my headlights.

Would it be possible to just tap into my existing wires? I was thinking of tapping into the existing stock headlight power wire and splitting it off to the two power wires on the LED headlight. And then connecting the ground on the existing stock headlight to the ground on the LED headlight.

Would this work? If so, would I want to do this? I noticed that the switch the came with the harness I got has a relay in it... my solution does not involve a relay so I don't know if that is bad?

Any help is appreciated. If you need me to take pics of the relay and switch, let me know

One other odd thing that find odd is the harness has specific LH and RH wires. If you connect the RH headlight to the LH wires, they wont work. But when you connect the RH headlight to the RH wires it works. Why is that? How is that possible?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Those are cool. I’d try to run existing power from low to low and high(from pod) to high. The pod light could still be incorporated w/splice. The plugs in harness you have could be used instead of existing Oe plugs. Where you find that?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don’t think you need that relay either. Your existing wiring should have one for headlights already. Your on the right track, just do it.
9A171A14-950B-47B9-9361-1F8A1877A2FE.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there is no need for the relay? Am I at risk of damaging anything on my ATV if I do NOT use a relay?

·
Registered
569 Posts
If your using existing wiring I believe a relay is already inline. It’s LED so it’s pretty low voltage. They sell those(same ones) on Aliexpress for $106.00. Did you find cheaper?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could I just use one of these harness adapters? I would need to cut one of the wires and tie in both power cables together, but that seems easier than trying to hack up the harness that came with mine

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your using existing wiring I believe a relay is already inline. It’s LED so it’s pretty low voltage. They sell those(same ones) on Aliexpress for $106.00. Did you find cheaper?
No... can you send me the link? Those must be aftermarket reproductions and not Polaris OEM because from what I found, Polaris stopped making these a while ago. But I have been told there are some good China reproductions out there

·
Registered
569 Posts
Could I just use one of these harness adapters? I would need to cut one of the wires and tie in both power cables together, but that seems easier than trying to hack up the harness that came with mine

[/URL]
Yeah you can use those if it easier. Just because these are from China doesn’t necessarily mean they are not the exact ones you have. Remember, Polaris buys much of their electronics and parts from China. Here’s the link:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are not the same as the ones I have. The ones I have are in an all metal housing and look different on the back. Not saying these are bad... they just appear to be made of different materials than the OEM Polaris ones

·
Registered
569 Posts
Those are not the same as the ones I have. The ones I have are in an all metal housing and look different on the back. Not saying these are bad... they just appear to be made of different materials than the OEM Polaris ones
Probably still made in China. Where did you find yours?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts