Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my 2012 Brute a couple weeks ago and was set on a Scrambler 1000, but lack of storage and rack space (I bowhunt with my quad) made me pick up this one. Got it for 10 out the door to boot, so I felt like it was a good price.

Heading out tomorrow for a shake down ride..should be able to get 20 miles in or so to get a feel for her...for now, I can say it is certainly bigger than the Brute, the EPS has more low speed boost, and it does not have nearly the low end hit of the Brute....I will be contacting Ridinagain for clutch kit asap (and Cecco braces as well).

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
that is one nice looking bike, congrats. ? what about the break-in period? the white looks really sharp and it matches the ram what what!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I like the new le rims

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is one nice looking bike, congrats. ? what about the break-in period? the white looks really sharp and it matches the ram what what!
Thanks man!

My break in will consist of running him on the trails like I normally ride...except I wont hold full throttle:) Just riding it like normal with varying rpm's...I will change out all fluids by 10 hours (I have a hatfield mccoy trip in two weeks, so will get all those changed before then). I thought it matched my Ram quite nice as well!! That wont last long though as I am trading in the 2013 1500 for a 2014 3500 CTD...ordered it 2 weeks ago:fest06:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just grab one of the back corners and pull up. Just snaps back in.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Thanks man!

My break in will consist of running him on the trails like I normally ride...except I wont hold full throttle:) Just riding it like normal with varying rpm's...I will change out all fluids by 10 hours (I have a hatfield mccoy trip in two weeks, so will get all those changed before then). I thought it matched my Ram quite nice as well!! That wont last long though as I am trading in the 2013 1500 for a 2014 3500 CTD...ordered it 2 weeks ago:fest06:
oh man f the quad lets talk about that cummins. lol. I didn't want to say anything negative about that little gasser in the drive but now that ur getting the real deal I guess its ok. I ordered my 2005 cummins dually back in 05, It took 6 months to get. but brother so worth it, I still love that truck. only prob with it is the steering components look like it came off a challenger or some other car. this spring I will be doing a complete front end rebuild. not to worry I was checking out some 14's the other day at the dealership and the ram engineers learned a thing or two from their previous mistakes. it is one beefy truck. so spill the beans what are the options on the new truck? dually? Quad cab? trim level? color, inside n out? :cowboy:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks man!

oh man f the quad lets talk about that cummins. lol. I didn't want to say anything negative about that little gasser in the drive but now that ur getting the real deal I guess its ok. I ordered my 2005 cummins dually back in 05, It took 6 months to get. but brother so worth it, I still love that truck. only prob with it is the steering components look like it came off a challenger or some other car. this spring I will be doing a complete front end rebuild. not to worry I was checking out some 14's the other day at the dealership and the ram engineers learned a thing or two from their previous mistakes. it is one beefy truck. so spill the beans what are the options on the new truck? dually? Quad cab? trim level? color, inside n out? :cowboy:
Cummins baby!!!!:)

Yeah I like my Laramie 1500 but it has no payload at all....the hemi can pull but it sucks gas when towing bad...I can get 20mpg on the highway though. Went to buy a travel trailer and soon realized the 1000lb tongue weight would put me over rear axle rating and payload so.....decided I would look at fifth wheels and most of the models we like are around 2000lb pin weight so a 3/4 ton really would be maxed with the family and the pin weight so I went to the 3500 srw.

Couldn't find what I wanted so I ordered a 2014 3500 srw Laramie megacab in maximum steel (almost impossible to find in a mega srw). Interior is canyon brown/light frost...same as my 13. Every option ordered except pto switches, second alternator, and clearance lights. Moonroof, nav, heated and cooled seats, fifth wheel prep, snow plow group, protection group, convenience group, remote start, 20 inch wheels, wheel to wheel sidesteps, spray in liner, etc....I wanted the clearance lights but wife said no way! Haha. They said 6-8 weeks so hope that proves to be true. The new rams r tight....best interior available hands down and the changes to the frame and front end on the new ones really boosted their tow capacity

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
bro u got me all jacked up, how the hell am I going to be able to go to sleep now. lol. I have to say u came right at it no half stepping go big or go home. I actually ordered mine SRW but they discontinued that as an option. to bad u didn't sneak the clearance lights in, gives the truck that big rig look. I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. we were looking at travel trailers and the suburban didn't have enough towing capacity for the type of trailer I wanted. long story short wifey goes to the fuel station now. shot u will be able to tow 2 tri-axel fifth wheels with that beast. properly equipped the 3500 CTD can pull 30G. listen best of luck with the new bike it looks mint and I want to see pics ASAP in the quad hauler section of the forum when u get ur hands on that beast!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do and thanks! No sense messing around eh? I am looking forward to the cummins and I love the max steel color...gun blue with purple, green and blue metallic flake in it in the sun.....oh yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
993 Posts
Better get them while you can cause 14's the last year dodge has the cummins. They now are going to fujiu I believe or is it fiat one of the 2 though. They already have a diesel six cylinder coming out in their half tons.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Love the bike, wish my scrambler would have came with those tires.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had a brute force 750 new in 2008 it was fun ride in 2011 I got my first 850xp sportsman and after riding this the first time the brute felt like a little mid size atv.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a brute force 750 new in 2008 it was fun ride in 2011 I got my first 850xp sportsman and after riding this the first time the brute felt like a little mid size atv.

Took him out for a 22 mile ride yesterday on some local trails to put it through its paces. The fox shocks and suspension specs work well..much softer and more comfy than my Elkas on the Brute and I was surprised at how little body roll there is on the XP. The power steering has a lot more boost at low speed than the Brute as well...high speed stability is better also. I could definitely throw the Brute around and "play" around on it easier...but it took a lot more effort to be fast on the Brute than the Xp is seems

Only thing I miss about the Brute was the low end snap...the 850 has nothing off the line compared to the Brute (I thought this would be the case since I rode one when I bought the Brute in 2012)...mine is hesitating a bit off the line, which seems to be common on the 850's...she does pull like a freight train in the mid range though. It would be nice if I can get the 850 to pull the wheels on command on the trail to go over trees, etc. I am going to run him in a bit and then try the NGK Iridium plugs to see if that helps with the hesitation off idle..will also get a QSC clutch kit from Ridinagain.

I suspect the Scrambler 1000 (what I almost got) would fit the bill for what I really want (ability to lift wheels on command and pull like a freight train through the mid range), but I need the racks and mud protection. I didnt want to wait until the Sportsman 1000 came out, so here we are! Very impressed with the machine so far though!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I might have to get some new plastics for mine. Hate the drab green! Love the white! Not going to trade up as I'm in the boat with the rest on waiting for the sportsman 1000 to come out. Nice ride!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Took him out for a 22 mile ride yesterday on some local trails to put it through its paces. The fox shocks and suspension specs work well..much softer and more comfy than my Elkas on the Brute and I was surprised at how little body roll there is on the XP. The power steering has a lot more boost at low speed than the Brute as well...high speed stability is better also. I could definitely throw the Brute around and "play" around on it easier...but it took a lot more effort to be fast on the Brute than the Xp is seems

Only thing I miss about the Brute was the low end snap...the 850 has nothing off the line compared to the Brute (I thought this would be the case since I rode one when I bought the Brute in 2012)...mine is hesitating a bit off the line, which seems to be common on the 850's...she does pull like a freight train in the mid range though. It would be nice if I can get the 850 to pull the wheels on command on the trail to go over trees, etc. I am going to run him in a bit and then try the NGK Iridium plugs to see if that helps with the hesitation off idle..will also get a QSC clutch kit from Ridinagain.

I suspect the Scrambler 1000 (what I almost got) would fit the bill for what I really want (ability to lift wheels on command and pull like a freight train through the mid range), but I need the racks and mud protection. I didnt want to wait until the Sportsman 1000 came out, so here we are! Very impressed with the machine so far though!

Congrats! The iridiums will smooth out the idle, but the QSC kit is the way to go to get that low end snap you're wanting! Before getting the kit though, consider what tires you want (size wise) cause Ryan and Adam base the kits off of tire sizes.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thats a nice looking bike! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Congrats! The iridiums will smooth out the idle, but the QSC kit is the way to go to get that low end snap you're wanting! Before getting the kit though, consider what tires you want (size wise) cause Ryan and Adam base the kits off of tire sizes.
Will do and thanks! The stock tires are Carlisle PXT's and are actually pretty decent...6 ply and seem to hook up a lot better than the normal stock carlisle's found on canams, etc. I replaced my tires on the Brute at 34 miles...I think I will run these until they get gashed or wear out and then get OG BH's or Pitbulls...would only be 26 inch max though

1 - 20 of 53 Posts