Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the quad scene so I'm talking to a lot of people on line including clubs, what really is surprising is how a lot or most of Can Am owners slam Polaris. Yet the Polaris people don't say bad things of Can Am, I really don't care if the Can Am is a superior machine as I also don't drive a Ferrarri or Lambo and I seem to get by.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Slamming something, anything seems to be the norm especially on the web. I was looking at some mudding youtube stuff and being new as well was surprise things were doing to their new like Can Am's. I just do not have money to scrap I guess doing extreme stuff with a high end unit.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I work on all brands and I can assure you they all have their issues and faults. And no matter if you drive a chevy or a Ferrari, if you don't tae care of it, it will break down.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
There is one group I ride with and most have can-ams. They bash polaris like its going out of style. I'm relatively new to the atv game and up until recently I was considering an outlander xt-p 800. I just returned from hmt with these guys and from the get go all the talk was about how great their bikes are, until one by one they all fell down. It's kind of ironic because the other polaris on the trip had an incident where the bike just shut down. Fired back up and no problems from there on out. All the can am guys used that as a spring board to bash the popo's. can am problems on that trip where, bike one couldn't go through water because of check engine lights coming on, bike two blown cooling fan towed home say good bye, bike three overheating, bike four and this is why I will never buy a can am totaled. Guy hit a gravel bank rolled the quad over and it was done. I have been in two violent rollovers with my bike and was always able to drive it off the trail and continue the ride. Can ams look beefy and stout but fold like a deck of cards. And you know by the end of the trip who was walking around like the worlds funniest comedian pointing out all the can am trip faults and known engineering faults. U would think these guys could take it but that's not the case.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
The only thing really superior about a can am is the price. If you surf all the different brand forums, they all are full of problems and issues, just like you read here. Most can am owners do seem to really enjoy bashing Polaris, but they really don't hold a candle to Grizzly owners. It can be entertaining listening to them and reading their comments, but it does get a tad bit tiresome after a while. We also get in our fair share of shots..... but for the most part, it is in jest.

·
11,153 Posts
Yep, I ride with a bunch of Honda guys that love to comment about how "high maintenance" a Polaris is and how "trouble free" a Honda is. I agree that Hondas are generally pretty dependable but at the end of a hard 100 mile day in the mountains I get to snicker and poke fun about all the moans and groans I hear from them around the campfire. I even started carrying a bottle of ibuprofen and some Bengay in my handy dandy front storage box just to help them out.
Besides that, Polaris riders are much better looking than Honda or Canned Ham riders anyway.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Besides that, Polaris riders are much better looking than Honda or Canned Ham riders anyway.
Lmao

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The way I see it, the people that need to bash another brand are just trying to justify their own purchase to themselves. The people that ride the best, know they have the best, and don't need to bash other owners/manufactures to prove it to themselves. Like it's been stated, if you neglect it, it will break. and if you ride it, it will break. It's the name of the game. It's just a matter of how you carry yourself on the other side that makes you a leader or a follower.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The way I see it, the people that need to bash another brand are just trying to justify their own purchase to themselves. The people that ride the best, know they have the best, and don't need to bash other owners/manufactures to prove it to themselves. Like it's been stated, if you neglect it, it will break. and if you ride it, it will break. It's the name of the game. It's just a matter of how you carry yourself on the other side that makes you a leader or a follower.
True that. I went riding through some deep mud and some swamp area's with my friends the other day. I normally do not like to put my machine through that (it was alot of fun btw). I basically tore my bike down to clean it, and to make sure everything was ok. I told my friends what I did and they all made fun of me for it. We will see who has the last laugh when there stuff goes to crap.

Also the bikes that rode that day were, 1- my 550xp eps 26"bighorn 2.0 got stuck, 2- 2002 polaris sportsman 700 got stuck, 3- Can am outlander 800 got stuck, took on water, and went into limp mode, 4- 2011 Sportsman 400ho with 25" bighorn 2.0's, and it never got stuck!!! ,and it pulled out the can am!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can Am 1000xtp and 500xt was $28,000 otd , my Scrambler and 550 LE were $22,000 otd with options like windshields etc. For the other 6g's I can do a fair amount of maintenance or buy a third machine. I shopped value not name or highest quality. Besides the Scrambler looks sick, pictures don't do it justice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Its not just can am guys it seems to be everyone that doesnt own a Polaris. Polaris kind of gotten a bad rap from years ago and people are not educated on how good the XP and such are. Also yes Polaris may have issues what brand doesn't but I dont know the numbers but I would bet Polaris has sold more atv's then all the other brands combined. As far as can am prices you have to compare apples to apples an XTP is more expensive because it has more stuff from the factory base machine to base machine your talking about same machine problem is nobody buys a base Outlander or Renegade I did because it less money.I like all brands esp when you just ride.I would buy another Polaris without thinking twice

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
CanAm guys? That second letter in the last word must have auto-corrected by mistake....lmao

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can Ams look good :D but they also looked expensive :|

last winter I was looking at UTVs, Ranger 900 wasn't actually my first choice but it turned out it was the best choice for me.

Gator was a close second :D but 825i had legroom issues, and 850RSX wasn't what I was looking for... I also liked the Red for it's auto transmission and would probably put the new Pioneer as a close third "if you don't need a Cab" and the Mule which just kinda looks tough you know. it's old school design, no frills build. it's like a mini gator only from Kawasaki :D which it kind of is because Gator and Mule share engines...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am lucky

I can bash myself!!!! I go out to the shed, hop on one and bash the other...then switch seats and respond. Makes for a great rainy day activity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think this thread is funny since I am currently sitting behind the parts counter at a Can Am dealer now. I have been here all summer and I plan to stay but I agree with the Polaris bashing as I have a sportsman myself and all I do is take heat for it. I have no where near the financial ability to own a Can Am and consider myself lucky to have my sportsman which works fine for a 2005 500. Can Amers love bashing Polaris specially the RZR with the Maverick and commanders. Polaris has come a VERY long way since the 90s and as somebody stated before all ATVs will have problems. It is an odd thing this love hate relationship. Maybe its just a USA vs Canada thing

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I hear ya on that!! I wanted an Outty so bad, but my wallet did not agree with me at the time. Totally happy with my Polaris, no regrets at all,

I think this thread is funny since I am currently sitting behind the parts counter at a Can Am dealer now. I have been here all summer and I plan to stay but I agree with the Polaris bashing as I have a sportsman myself and all I do is take heat for it. I have no where near the financial ability to own a Can Am and consider myself lucky to have my sportsman which works fine for a 2005 500. Can Amers love bashing Polaris specially the RZR with the Maverick and commanders. Polaris has come a VERY long way since the 90s and as somebody stated before all ATVs will have problems. It is an odd thing this love hate relationship. Maybe its just a USA vs Canada thing

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think this thread is funny since I am currently sitting behind the parts counter at a Can Am dealer now. I have been here all summer and I plan to stay
WOW!!! Thats a long time to wait for parts. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
173 Posts
True that. I went riding through some deep mud and some swamp area's with my friends the other day. I normally do not like to put my machine through that (it was alot of fun btw). I basically tore my bike down to clean it, and to make sure everything was ok. I told my friends what I did and they all made fun of me for it. We will see who has the last laugh when there stuff goes to crap.

Also the bikes that rode that day were, 1- my 550xp eps 26"bighorn 2.0 got stuck, 2- 2002 polaris sportsman 700 got stuck, 3- Can am outlander 800 got stuck, took on water, and went into limp mode, 4- 2011 Sportsman 400ho with 25" bighorn 2.0's, and it never got stuck!!! ,and it pulled out the can am!!
I used to regularly ride with a couple of 400 sportsmans and those bikes made it through everything that many did not. Don't know what it was but they were great even on stock rubber. One guy was a great rider the other not so great and fairly new to it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts