Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for replacement pads for this rear rack box. The Machine is an 2004 600 Twin and I am guessing that the rear box was put on when the machine was new or shortly after. It is a Moose brand held on with 4 straps. I have not been able to determine what model it is from Moose or seen one similar.

All the covering is gone from the arm rests and the back pad is getting bare at the top. These pads are held on with a push pin style plastic fastener that I will probably have to cut off to remove the pads.

P1000018_zps870a8ba7.jpg Photo by steve7119 | Photobucket

Armrests
P1000021_zps8152630f.jpg Photo by steve7119 | Photobucket

Backrest

P1000022_zpsa7577fd9.jpg Photo by steve7119 | Photobucket

There is nothing wrong with the box, so I would prefer to keep it and am prepared...rather I have prepared my wife...to create new pads with a weather resistant cover if we have to. I would rather replace the pads if I can.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn, photos didn't load as I thought they would, probably clicked the wrong option. Try this again.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I priced out a "replacement set" for my Wes Ind. Box (direct thru Wes Ind) to install on my Kolpin..... it was almost $175 for the pads alone or a new box was just over another $100 @ $275-300 shipped to my door.

Just food for thought here.....

I didn't end up getting the pads or box yet. But when I do I'll just get a complete box to replace the Kolpin. Like that box minus the cheap velcro on pads!

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I have not tried ebay, cause I don't know what to search for. I tried the Moose site first to see if I could find out what it was. Appears that they no longer make it. Too general a search on ebay gives me thousands of listings. I was hoping to narrow it down some first. I may have to just dedicate the time and see what i come up with.

Good point on the cost too, like a cordless drill battery...cost of the battery is too close to the cost of a new drill to make it worth it. Pisses me off that I have to toss a perfectly good drill cause it isn't worth replacing the battery though.

I still have the option of my wife making a cover, we did it years ago for an old snowmobile seat. I would like to have a box that I can take off easier tho. This one has the straps and an added bolt through the bottom. which I don't think was original.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Do you have any Amish living in your area? We have both Amish and Mennonite farmers around us. They usually have a harness maker in their community. These guys work with leather and can make anything at a reasonable price. We had a harness maker fabricate a couple of leather arm pads for a wheelchair. Cost me 10 dollars and they last three times longer than the originals and look just as good. If so just take your pieces to him and ask what he will do. These guys make harness, belts, seat covers and a horde of other leather goods. I walked in one day and he made my pads and made me a belt while I waited. They even put a design on the belt and I wear it every day for work and doubt if it will ever wear out.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, we do have a small menonite community in the area. I will try to locate someone there. If they can't, they may know who could.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Or pick up some dense foam material, cut it to shape, and mount it on?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's plan B. I think I can make a plywood base with a threaded insert so I can attach it from the bottom with a machine screw and dense foam on top then a weather resistant cover material stapled to it. Wife says she will make the cover when I am ready for it.

We leave on the 30th for a trip to Northern Wisconsin for a week on the trails, so I think it's going on the ignore pile til we get back. I do want to get something done before I start taking grandsons on trails though. Looks like heck, but works for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts