Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having clutch issues and came across this. Is it possible for the spider to back off from the spacer and bearing? I know it turns off. In the pic you can see the space above the bearing and there is a thin spacer that is loose between spider and bearing. Next question is, what is a good way to hold bottom and twist off spider or tighten if I dont have the tool. I'll weld something up but would like to hear what others do.

this may have happened when water got to it in the river. shredded oem belt.
2010 850 xp with dalton clutch kit. Clutch spider was not removed when clutch kit was install and never has been.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You have the clutch off, take it to the dealer and have them lock it back down with a little blue Loctite. Most won't even charge you for the time to do it. But before you do it may be a good time to take it apart and inspect everything and replace any worn parts if needed. I've never seen one do that and I've rebuilt about 500 Polaris primary clutches.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really appreciated your experience and reply. my efforts to remove the spider failed and I am letting the dealer do it. I did try to heat the spider up with a small propane tourch and used a 3ft pipe on the wrench. When I couldn't budge it to get it off (counter clockwise), I tried tightening it a bit to get it starting to move. the shaft started loosening at the clutch face closest to engine.

How much heat do you apply to break the spider free?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just an update and rant. My dealer got the clutch apart with lots of tourque and still can't understand why there was such a big gap between one way and spacer. Maby when the belt unraveled and wraped around it. Only thing they found was two worn bushings.

The two bushings are backordered till who knows and the new belt was going to take a month to get in. I found a belt on line but it was their last one.

Anyone else having supply issues like this???

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I might have a rebuild kit for you, but they are $180. Surprised the bushings are that hard to get. I have gotten them pretty hot before to break free. Have an 8' pipe in the corner to use as a cheater over the 40" 3/4 drive breaker bar and have even had to use an air chisle on my socket to help break some free.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That dose explain alot and will help the next time I go to do this myself. The bushings did come in today. thanks again for the tech.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts