Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 95 polaris trail blazer 250. I'm concerned the oil pump doesn't function 100%. Can I add a small ratios of pre mix to the gas for a little security? Anyone done this.? Id like to keep the pump and not install any block off plate. If so what ratio do you suggest. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
have a 95 polaris trail blazer 250. I'm concerned the oil pump doesn't function 100%. Can I add a small ratios of pre mix to the gas for a little security? Anyone done this.? Id like to keep the pump and not install any block off plate. If so what ratio do you suggest. Thank you in advance
Don't know much about your ride. but I do know that on new two stroke boat motors, they run double oil during break-in, so I cant see how it could damage anything, other than maybe fouling a plug more often. The ratio you can get from a Polaris dealer or maybe researching it on google. Boat motors have been doing this for a long time

·
Registered
805 Posts
You should run that motor 32:1. I would remove the injection pump and just premix. Much better engine life that way and better performance.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
32:1 is really more than you need. Stock injection ratio is closer to 50:1 and is plenty of oil. You can leave the pump if you like and just premix. Some it to a bunch of 250s and 400s over the years. Lot easier to leave the pump imo so you don't have to mix fuel on the trail though.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
When working properly oil injection has a benefit. It adjusts the gas:eek:il ratio depending on amount of throttle. If I remember correctly a Rotax at idle is about 100:1 and then 50:1 when running at a advanced speed. Running too rich at idle might cause plug fouling. I would run 50:1 if premixing and you can leave the pump on and empty. I use to fly a lot of ultralights airplanes with two stroke Kawasaki, cuyunas and Rotax engines. Only one had oil injection (Rotax 618) and it ran the best but the others did ok with premix at 50:1 but did foul the occasional plug if idling too long. Not and issue on the ground but a bit hairy when 100 feet in the air. Had three stop completely in flight but got them all on the ground safely. Once the plug wire came off the screw post on a 289 Rotax, once a piece of carbon fouled a plug, and another time the cooling shroud pulled the plug wire off as it lifted up in flight (that was a four cylinder Jabiru). Also had a 150 lycoming have the throttle linkage break so it went to full power...ended up flying the pattern at full bore and leaned the mixture till I was on short final and the cut the mixture completely and made a dead stick landing. In all cases nothing got bent including me. Oh yeah, was doing multiple loops in a Phantom ultralight with a 447 Rotax and on the third loop at the top lost the engine (fuel starvation). Couldn't get a restart so had to put it down on a very short strip and that got the heart pumping and the hands shaking as it wasn't my plane. If I would have just pumped the primer I could have got a restart but was too focused on landing and the primer bulb was out of sight and mind.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Just a little tip, switch to iridium plugs to stop with fouling as many plugs. My kx 250 ran 24:1 oil ratio, and i never fouled 1 iridium plug in 2 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts