Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I could just leave my 2010 550xp in 4x4 all the time. I know it only engages when the rear wheels spin, but I did not know if there are any extra parts moving that could where out when its switched in 4x4.

I just have no idea how the 4x4 works on a my Polaris. so if any one has a link or could tell me how it works that would be great.

I just seam to use stuff better when I know how it works

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yes, absolutley you can leave your quad in 4x4 all the time.

as you know, it has sensors in the rear wheels that detect wheel slippage. all it takes is 1/5 of one wheel revolution of slip to engage the front wheels. a computer engages the front wheels, both of them (locked 4x4 drive) until traction has been gained again, releasing the front wheels back to freespin mode, until the rears slip again.

·
Registered
121 Posts

as you know, it has sensors in the rear wheels that detect wheel slippage. all it takes is 1/5 of one wheel revolution of slip to engage the front wheels. a computer engages the front wheels, both of them (locked 4x4 drive) until traction has been gained again, releasing the front wheels back to freespin mode, until the rears slip again.
Is that true for ALL models and years for Polaris. Maybe it's just me but I thought my '07 Sportsman 800 steered harder when it was in 4x4. I thought they sort of worked like the GM GovLock differentials where when in 4x4 you had two wheels in the rear and one wheel in the front working full time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@GruntHunter-
Demand 4x4 (True AWD) is what makes a Polaris a Polaris my man. If you want a garbage differential system where only 3 tires turn buy you a Honda of Yammyhaw, although they are slowly but surely catching up with the true 4x4 systems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@GruntHunter-
Demand 4x4 (True AWD) is what makes a Polaris a Polaris my man. If you want a garbage differential system where only 3 tires turn buy you a Honda of Yammyhaw, although they are slowly but surely catching up with the true 4x4 systems.
Is it my imagination that they steer harder when they are in 4x4 ? Maybe it's just a carry over from driving my Blazer in 4x4 (true 4x4 because I had Auborn posi units installed front & back).:racer:

·
Registered
159 Posts
No it's not your imagination man, it's a fact!! They are harder to steer because like you said all 4 tires are pulling. So they are pulling the ATV rather than the ATV pushing them. I can't break down the physics for ya but I do know that you aren't crazy LoL.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No it's not your imagination man, it's a fact!! They are harder to steer because like you said all 4 tires are pulling. So they are pulling the ATV rather than the ATV pushing them. I can't break down the physics for ya but I do know that you aren't crazy LoL.
That would have been my only downside to constantly riding it in 4x4, especially on any sort of hard surface. That plus the extra wear on the front tires. When I'm out on my hunting lease I leave the front hubs on my Blazer locked all the time (got manual lockers) and drive it in 2x4. Whenever I start bogging it down then my 'get-out-of-trouble' is pulling it into 4x4 and back out or pucker up and plow through :)

N

·
0 Posts
Golly, I remember back in 1998 when I had a Honda Foreman 400. 4WD all the time. I had some good looking forearms back then:wiggle:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I only switch mine on when I really need 4x4. I think it saves the clutch mechanism in the front diff, which is know to break. On the last ride I was on I only needed 4x4 once when I got stuck crossing a wet log. Its nice to know when you need 4x4, and that it works when you switch it on. If its on all the time and all of a sudden you get stuck!!! THen what are your options as its already in 4x4? Winch?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts

Is that true for ALL models and years for Polaris. Maybe it's just me but I thought my '07 Sportsman 800 steered harder when it was in 4x4. I thought they sort of worked like the GM GovLock differentials where when in 4x4 you had two wheels in the rear and one wheel in the front working full time.
its true for the last couple years, and certainly would include your 07. possibly your 4x4 isnt engaging, but no, its to a 3x4 system, when the front kicks in, its a true 4x4.

but it shouldnt be in 4x4 all that often, and shouldnt stay in 4x4 mode for very long at any one time. it should engage and disengage as the rear wheels gain and loose traction

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just too let you guys know the engagement of your front wheel drive happens in the transmission before the driveshaft comes out toward the front. I have had some say the wrong place. Just FYI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts