Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to retire in the next few months after making beer at the little brewery in Golden, Colorado for the past 30 years.. I'm thinking that I want to get into the sport of ATV riding. After looking at Can Am's and Artic Cat machines that offer the 2 up options I've decided on a 2009 Polaris 800 EFI X2, I love the cleverness of the Storage box, dump feature and 2nd seat feature. A friend at work raves about his Polaris quad's and the local dealer was good to work with. We settled on a price and I have until Tuesday to close the deal, I had to discuss the X2 feature with my wife and the purchase in general.

Will I have any surprises or maintenance issues with the model I've chosen? Should I be looking at a used machine vs. jumping in with both feet with a new machine. I plan to use the machine to explore around the National Forrest camping areas in Colorado during my new free time. I don't want to have my first retirement decision to be a bad one. Any comments on your own experience venturing into the sport will be appreciated.

Thanks Brad

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thats kind of funny I toured that brewery back in 1982. I remember the tour guide saying that you would have to drink a twelve pack of beer every day from the day you were born until you were 88 years old to consume all the beer in 1 railroad car. :beer: Yes that machine you bought is a good machine. Make sure the dealer has serviced and test road the machine. If they have it should have a half hour or more of run time or a couple miles on the speedo. Always good to have them explain and make sure all the switches, lights and gauges are functioning properly. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i say go new

are you thinking of getting the extended warranty? I was going to go used but for $2000 more i got brand new with 2 helmets and 5 yr warranty, something to think about as well. new is always nice expecially when you get those first few scratches!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 800 X2 is a good machine. I have had 0 problems with my 2008 model 800X2. You can not beat the versatility of the X2's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think they are great machines and you will love it. I have the 700 and no problems at all. I would buy new then you will always know the history.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a 2 year old Honda from an older guy, the oil looked good, the bike needed cleaning so I gave him the money. Found out, he had been using the wrong oil, the radiator was plugged up (no telling how long). Buy a new one and you know what you have. By the way, the price of the warranty is negotiable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts