Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 95 polaris scrambler to give u a little history of my quad I have had it for almost 2 years not even on the year anniversary i blew the piston into pieces, did the rebuild myself it ran like a champ for almost an entire year but lately i have been having electrical problems with it,(intermittent spark) found out to be the rev limiter so unhook it bought a used one from ebay turned out to be junk so have been running it like that for about 4 months but last week it quit lighting up my dashboard it was fine though because i was still getting spark, however next it wouldnt start using my starter, i figured it was the key because i have been meaning to replace it cause of obvious signs of failure, (like when i would turn it it wouldnt light up my dashboard so i would have to jiggle it to get it to work). so i said let me bypass the switch until the 3rd being that is when i get paid so i bypassed the key with a toggle switch and when i hit the start button all i got was 3-4 clicks from the solenoid and then everything went dead again so unhooked the toggle switch however in the process i accidentally touched wires that i was not suppose to so then i had to check the 20 amp circuit breaker that was junk so i momentarily jumped that connecting the two ends with a piece of wire voila i had power to my dashboard again, so i proceeded to hit the start button again, and again 3-4 clicks from the solenoid and then nothing lost power to the dashboard again and no spark as well this time around. so then i pull out my trusted service manual and it tells me to ohm check the solenoid so i proceeded to do so and my book says that it should be 3.4 anything higher than that i should replace the solenoid, my reading was 10. something. so my question, is having a bad solenoid would it cause all of these problems. so i am at wits end and i need this atv to get around on my farm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
im thinking your starter is drawing to many amps can u pull start it? maybe your ground is bad, bad connection on the battery? or something like that

·
Registered
90 Posts
id concentrate on your no spark issue first can u disconect the black wire that goes from the cdi box to your rev limiter make sure it dosent touch ground and unhook the key switch wires and see if you have spark, maybe you fried the cdi when you accidently crossed wires, maybe the off run switch on the left handle bar is shorted or somthing

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no sir i know it isnt the lh switch as i just replaced that not more than 3 months ago, good thinking about the cdi i have a spare one i will try that tomorrow but i think i figured out the culprit im thinking it is the battery because i was just fooling with it and i have power to the dashboard however after hitting the start button a few times i lost power to the dashboard again and then right after i put my multimeter on the battery and it wasnt even showing 1 volt so im thinking that is the problem but yeah u r right Cyberlynx now i have the no spark issue to deal with but quick question if the batery is that low will it stilll not spark even thru the pull rope.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts