Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background first. This is a 2003 Sportsman 600 that I bought new in '03. It was running good until I had a couple of major surgerys, a knee replacement and a hip replacement. The hip didn't turn out to good and as a result the 600 just sat there.
When things straightened out I needed the 600 for deer hunting but the field rats had eaten the wiring under the pod down to the plug. Got it running and suddenly it lost all power beyond the pod. I thought it might be corrosion or a short but I couldn't find it. In the meantime the rats had eaten my new wiring and I had to fix that again. All told it sat up 2 1/2 years without being cranked.
So I got back on it and found several possible causes including the on/off switch on the left handlebar. I replaced it and had power again and the starter spins too. But before I tried to crank it I felt the fuel system needed draining and the carb cleaned, I also decided to do a rebuild on the carb. I had added a jet kit some 15 years ago but didn't remove the carb. This time I removed the carb cleaned it and put it back on. I did'nt seem to have any problems reattaching the throttle cable but when I try and adjust it no matter how much I turn it I can't get any freeplay at the thumb switch. The cable looks to be routed correctly but something is wrong.
I'm not sure where to go next but I'm not going to try and crank the motor until I can adjust the ETC.
So any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
is the cable freely sliding in the sheath?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to be freely sliding. I worked on it a little more this evening, one way I turned it really shortened the amount of movement of the throttle. So I turned it the other way and got full movement again but I never got any freeplay at all. I really hesitate to try to start the engine without the ETC being adjusted correctly to begin with.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Sounds like the throttle cable is not routed correctly and is being stretched when turning

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I've been thinking too but I'm not sure how it's routed incorrectly. I didn't remove the cable. I just reached in and found the end and reattached it. The cable has always ran down the left, outside, of the machine, just under the side panel. So I need to look first between the carb and where the cable turns inside to the carb. And look for as straight a shot as I can find.
There seems to be plenty of cable available so I've wondered if I've got a sharp bend somewhere. Only one way to find out.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Yep - it's a look, feel and logic problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all back together again and I'm ready to try and crank it except for one thing...I still can't adjust the ETC, it's still to tight. The throttle cable is not misrouted, it is in the same position as when it was unhooked,
I'm ready t o try and crank it but not while I can't adjust the etc.
Which way do you turn the cable to loosen it?
What will happen if I try and crank it just the way it sits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, I feel I need to mention a couple of things....
One. I'm not really a professional ATV mechanic. I just try and do it myself whenever possible but often get stuck on things I've never experienced before.
Two. I will never ask a question, no matter how stupid I sound, about something I feel the need on some guidance about.

Now about the tight throttle cable. I finally got it adjusted last night and was prepared to crank it this morning. But before I went inside I blipped the throttle one more time and it was stuck. Absolutely no spring back at all. I think this is what the ETC is for in the first place isn't it?
So I started looking it over and finally found a spot where the outer layer had been rubbed off. Visible was about an inch of rusty steel cable.
I went inside and ordered a new throttle cable. I hope this fixes this particular problem and allows me to move on.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Sounds like the problem finally exposed itself as a defective cable - bump this thread and let us know if the new cable solves the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts