Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 850 touring and was trying to get the dash to read any codes that are stored. (if any)

The manual says to press the "Yellow" button real fast. My thumb wont go any faster and I don't see any codes.
Does this mean I am code free or am I not following directions? (which my boss says i am real good at)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try and read the manual smart ass. It talks about Mil or some such thing so i went to the glossary and low and behold the term they are talking about isn't there. My manual also talks about a sportsman and I have the touring. You say "the same thing" go price em and they are not the same.

I am not talking about the owners manual I have the Polaris edition on the computer.

The manual is for the same kind of people who wear pocket protectors and learn to ride a quad on a simulator. (There is a simulator traveling through out Pennsylvania.)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You have to hold the yellow button, then turn the key on. Then press the yellow button to cycle thru the screens.

·
11,138 Posts
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I just meant that you don't just press the button fast. The manual should explain all that. MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light...better known as "Check Engine" light. There is no difference when checking the blink codes between various models of EFI Polaris machines although as Stew notes, there may be slight differences in what the various code numbers mean for different machines.
Good luck.

Here is a post AKstew did a while back explaining the procedure.

Checking Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)
Not to be confused with the other thread in this section on using diagnostic mode.

Turn the key off for 30 seconds. Do the following within 5 seconds: Key ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON (don't start the engine). Keep your eye on the CEL. The display will either say "Wait" and then the CEL will start blinking; or the CEL will start blinking right away. In either case, count the number of blinks between each long pause (b P bb P bbbb P b P bbbbbb P b). The codes are in two-digit numbers so the previous sequence would be 12, 41, 61. 12 = start and 61 = end. 12 may or may not happen.

This is a general list of codes. Different models and years may have slight variations.

---- 12 Beginning of Diagnostic Check ----
21 Loss of Synchronization
22 TPS Circuit: Open or Short to Ground
22 TPS Circuit: Short to Battery
23 RAM Error: Defective ECU
41 Air Temp Sensor: Open or Short Circuit to Sensor Voltage (ECU)
41 Air Temp Sensor: Short Circuit to Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Short to Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open or Short to Battery
45 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit Low Input
46 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit High Input
51 Injector 1: Open Load
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to battery
52 Injector 2: Open Load
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Ground
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Battery Yes
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Open Load
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Battery
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Open Load
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit to Battery
56 Pump Relay Open Load
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Ground
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Battery
58 Cooling Fan: Open Load
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Ground
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Battery
---- 61 End of Diagnostic Check ----

To erase a code, remove the negative battery cable for 30 seconds. If they are still there after you hook the cable up and check again, that means they came right back.

Stew
_

·
Registered
399 Posts
In my experience you have to retrieve the code when the check engine light comes on. If you turn the wheeler off it will clear it from screen but will store the code in the computer.

If you can get the light to come on again then you cycle the yellow button and should see CHK ENG on your screen. Then hold the yellow button down for a few seconds till it reveals the code.

Not sure if you can retrieve stored codes, might have to have dealer hook up to it to retrieve it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Polman500 I owe you an apology. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I had a bad day. Buddys and friends are always poking at each other and nothing is meant by it.
Your post is very informative, thanks again.
I am going to hunt for that procedure in my manual.

I also want to thank you other guys for your input as well.

safe trails and soft trees and rocks to all

·
11,138 Posts
LOL...not a problem ole buddy. Trying to decipher some of those manuals can be like reading Chinese algebra...very frustrating. I also sometimes tend to give too short and blunt an answer when I'm on here but mean nothing bad by it.

The procedure that involves the button is for pulling up different function screens. To get blink codes, just flip the key on/off 3 times quickly leaving it on the third time. "WAITE" will show first and then the MIL/CHECK ENGINE will start blinking. Count the blinks and pauses and you'll get any stored codes.

I have to do it 2 or 3 times to make sure I'm counting right!!

If I remember correctly...The first part...(BLINK pause BLINK BLINK) = 12 is start.
The last part (BLINK BLINK BLINK BLINK BLINK BLINK pause BLINK) = 61 is finish.

The ones between all that are the actual trouble codes.

**NOTE** MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE CABLE FOR A FEW MINUTES TO CLEAR ANY STORED CODES AFTER REPAIRS SO YOU DON'T KEEP CHASING A PROBLEM THAT NO LONGER EXISTS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts