Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing carb to clean it, after setting up way too long. Have it loose but can't get choke cable off. Pulled black sleeve back and removed the smaller threaded nut but cable doesn't pull out (like it does on my 500 Sportsman). Do I have to remove the larger nut next to carb (12 mm)? I can't get any wrench on it and hate to keep fighting it if I don't have to remove it.

2002 Sportsman 700 Polaris.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
from the side using a 12mm wrench unscrew form carb and if plunger is stuck in carb leave it sit over night with some penetrating oil, don't force it the cable will pull out of the plunger

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
yes, but if the plunger is stuck in the carb tilt carb so some penetrating oil can soak in it over night

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 HO. I have pulled back the rubber sleeve on the choke cable at the Carb and unscrewed the 8mm nut. The cable will not pull out. Before I squirt some penetrating oil there maybe I need to unscrew the 12mm nut right next to the Carb? Could this be my problem? Thanks Foxdog

·
Registered
122 Posts
I made a choke removal tool out of a 12 point 12 mm wrench. If you cut a slot out of the end just wide enough to slip over the cable portion and slide it down over the brass nut you don't have to move the nut as far to get another bite on it. You have to get a thin walled wrench or grind one down around the outside to fit all the way around the nut though.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I made a choke removal tool out of a 12 point 12 mm wrench. If you cut a slot out of the end just wide enough to slip over the cable portion and slide it down over the brass nut you don't have to move the nut as far to get another bite on it. You have to get a thin walled wrench or grind one down around the outside to fit all the way around the nut though.

That should be a sticky, that is the best tool I've seen for getting this off

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to remove the carb from my 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 (4 cycle). I have the service manual; the index says there are directions for removal, but there are not. I want to get the throttle cable (and perhaps the choke cable off). I have unscrewed the threaded cable end at the carb but that accomplished nothing. I took off a cover and can see the cable but it not apparent how that cable is held on. Someone said there are YouTube videos; I see some with the title carb removal, but they don't show anyone actually taking the cables off? Can anyone give some explicit directions or reference a video that actually shows this?

·
11,136 Posts
I want to remove the carb from my 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 (4 cycle). I have the service manual; the index says there are directions for removal, but there are not. I want to get the throttle cable (and perhaps the choke cable off). I have unscrewed the threaded cable end at the carb but that accomplished nothing. I took off a cover and can see the cable but it not apparent how that cable is held on. Someone said there are YouTube videos; I see some with the title carb removal, but they don't show anyone actually taking the cables off? Can anyone give some explicit directions or reference a video that actually shows this?
You have to roll the throttle cable guide on the throttle shaft assembly ( #38) around with your thumb against the spring (opening the throttle) to get slack in the cable and work the cable up out of it and out through the notch in its side. It has a little brass trick on the end (cable guide number 39 in the pic). It just hooks on a bead at the end of the cable...
NOTE: DO NOT LOSE THE LITTLE BRASS TRICK!
It costs about $15 and the carb and cable are useless without it!!!!
Once you have the cable off the throttle shaft assembly and the brass trick safely put up where it can't be lost, the cable end will just pull out of the carb.
43, 44 and 45 is the choke holder/guide, choke plunger and spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,454 Posts
I did the same modification to a cheap 12mm box end wrench years ago when I ran into a over tight choke cable nut. That fitting should be tightened with needle nose pliers to prevent over tightening or the plastic wrench the factory assembler used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I decided to try to clean things without removing the cables. Trying to figure out which is the Pilot Jet or Pilot Jet Screw looking at the carb form the bottom. I see a recessed silver slot head screw without an orifice, an obvious jet -- brass with a slot, and a longer tube. I am trying to correct an idle problem (it won't and engine dies as soon as I try to open the throttle). I understand it could be a dirty Pilot Jet. The parts manual does not show well enough which is which. (Cannot figure out how to attach a photo I took, Dialog box says to enter a url.???? Maybe I have done it with an attachment?)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,454 Posts
1) is the pilot jet
2) is the enrichener jet
3) is the pilot screw (fuel/air adjustment)

Idle mixture is controlled by 1 & 3

Mid range and top end is controlled by the unmarked parts to the left of the pilot screw (main jet already removed) screws into the slide needle jet (still in the plastic jet block) - the slide needle and slide needle jet control the mixture for throttle settings between appx. 1/4 and 3/4 throttle settings - the main jet is the only control for the fuel mixed with the air at throttle openings above 3/4 throttle.

Typically when you open the throttle fully and it dies, it's because its getting all air and no fuel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My choke removal tool. It works perfectly. I made it from socket 12 mm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks very much. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner, ran small welding wire thru jets. Removed the Pilot screw and cleaned that.

I have it mostly back together. Still a few issues. It more or less runs and idles now, but sometimes dies suddenly at idle, almost as though it was electrical. But then it will restart almost immediately. Also a small amount of fuel is coming off the sediment bowl -- there's a peg that protrudes downward and that is where it collects. Cannot see it coming around the gasket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts