Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to Get the driveshafts out of the front differential on my Ranger 800. Im pulling hard but i cant Get Them out. If i pull any Harder its gonna fall of the Jack stands. Help

·
Super Moderator
15,874 Posts
You don't really "pull". Sit down on a stool or something so you can hole the axle perfectly level. Place your foot against the gearcase and push the plunge joint all the way in then give the axle a good sharp jerk to dislodge the spring ring holding the axle in from its groove in the output hub.
If they are rusted in, soak well with PB. Sometimes a little pressure behind the cup with a small pry bar and some good jars with a hammer around the cup will help loosen the corrosion.
If that don't work, report back and we'll give you some alternative methods using a little more force.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I finally got them after some pulling. Used a lot of spray and a screwdriver and bent on it and it came loose. But they were pretty rusted. Thanks to the salted roads here in norway. Next problem now is to Get the «plug» out from the drive shaft. Between the front differential and the gearbox. Some tips? I have tried to hammer it and i have tried to use a Jack to Get it out but it just lifted the whole viechle. Sorry for my bad english hope you understand

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,638 Posts
Thanks. I finally got them after some pulling. Used a lot of spray and a screwdriver and bent on it and it came loose. But they were pretty rusted. Thanks to the salted roads here in norway. Next problem now is to Get the «plug» out from the drive shaft. Between the front differential and the gearbox. Some tips? I have tried to hammer it and i have tried to use a Jack to Get it out but it just lifted the whole viechle. Sorry for my bad english hope you understand
Are you referring to the roll pin that secures the front prop shaft to front diff?

·
Registered
2015 sportsman 570
44 Posts
My method that has always worked for me is get a 1/4” thick piece of rope, tie small loop on one end, send the other end through the loop while going around the cv end at the diff and choke the rope down into the small gap between the the cv end and your diff. Once it’s choked in there tie on a good sized hammer about 3ft out and start swinging the hammer away from the diff. Like a slide hammer but with a rope.

has worked every time for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just bought a air hammer and tried it now but still after loads of hammering it dosent budge. The bit was not long enough so i took a tool i have (dont know the english name for it) and drilled a Hole at the bottom and made it a little «sharper» at the end to prevent it from jumping around. Then i used that to extend it so it was long enough but still cant Get it out… What am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm thinking I may wanna get the roll pins out of my driveshafts of my toys ASAP and replace them with a stainless bolt. We all know (or should know) the roll pin or substituted bolt is only for holding the yoke in position to the output shaft and the bolt isn't under any stress since the splines transfer the torque.

I felt the need to state the obvious before anyone who doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground comes back saying I need a grade-8 bolt in there! A damn wood dowel would probably work!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts