Polaris ATV Forum banner

Can't pull out front drive axle from front gearcase 2006 Sptsman 500 X2

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  4getful2 
#1 ·
Having a heck of a time trying to extract the inner splined shaft (CV joint) end out of the front gear case.
I see on a diagram and the new replacement drive axle there is a "Circlip" on the short inner splined end.
I don't know if this is part of the problem??
In my gentle and then later frustrated not so gentle pulling...pretty much straight out, the inner CV joint is now stuck.
See pics in down position and then rotated 180 degrees up.
I'm not feeling comfortable with attempting to pull it anymore at those angles as I can visualize this screwing something up inside the front differential....What the hey!
Anyway, anybody out there know why it won't come free out of the differential and how can I get the CV joint loose for a straight out pull?
Thanks guys.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The splines get all filled up thru the years of use with goo from the trails not let the circlip to not contract. Keep giving them a bath with penetrant and it will work in there. If not a slide hammer puller and some clamps will do the trick.
You won't tear it up , just don't beat on the diff. case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.