Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had a chance to use my winch to its fullest potential yet but was told by numorous people that if i burried my atv in the mud my battery would not have enough juice to allow the winch to pull me out. I was told that it is a commen upgrade back east to wire up a small car battery in place of the stock batt. to max the winch power. What the scoop and what do you think????

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i have personally not every heard of this issue...or adding a car battery, i would be a little leary. most common route is to add a second aux battery if you have a lot accessories/need more juice. im not sure of the reason why i see dual battery kits and havent seen bigger battery kits, except for ill venture a guess that a bigger battery is going to be possibly blowing a lot of fuses, where as a second battery could be set up with the accessories and proper fuses. ill have to do more research though...

this is an interesting question

·
Registered
82 Posts
ive had mine stuck many of times and winched out and never lost any power....if your battery is good then you should be good

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ive had mine ride buried past the tires with all of the winch cable out never had a problem. and Ive done this alot, and all on the same battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ive had mine ride buried past the tires with all of the winch cable out never had a problem. and Ive done this alot, and all on the same battery.
I haven't unwound my winch cable yet so this may seem like a dumb question, but this is my first atv. How much cable do these winches usually come with? I have no idea as to how far I can reach with it. :kopfkratz:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I haven't unwound my winch cable yet so this may seem like a dumb question, but this is my first atv. How much cable do these winches usually come with? I have no idea as to how far I can reach with it. :kopfkratz:
50 feet of 3/16" is what you have on your spool. You can only use about 45 feet though, you need to have at least 4-5 wraps on your drum to do any pulls.

I haven't had any issues with winch power with the stock battery. I did 10 pulls in 4 hours for my buddies this past summer, with no loss of power or battery drain. If your concerned about loosing power, just keep the quad running during the pull to recharge the battery as your pulling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
50 feet of 3/16" is what you have on your spool. You can only use about 45 feet though, you need to have at least 4-5 wraps on your drum to do any pulls.

I haven't had any issues with winch power with the stock battery. I did 10 pulls in 4 hours for my buddies this past summer, with no loss of power or battery drain. If your concerned about loosing power, just keep the quad running during the pull to recharge the battery as your pulling.
Many thanks Smoothbassman, Seeing that I get into a lot of areas that don't have many trees down here sounds like I should carry a spool of 5/8" rope with me, huh? ;-) 45 Ft is still quite a bit. I didn't know that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Many thanks Smoothbassman, Seeing that I get into a lot of areas that don't have many trees down here sounds like I should carry a spool of 5/8" rope with me, huh? ;-) 45 Ft is still quite a bit. I didn't know that. Thanks again.
Yeah, I carry another 50' of winch-line in my box and a couple of shackles to tie everything together. JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, I carry another 50' of winch-line in my box and a couple of shackles to tie everything together. JUST IN CASE!

That's a nice looking line. What size is it and did you make it up or buy it somewhere? With what we have down here I probably ought to be carrying a boat anchor with me ha ha

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

That's a nice looking line. What size is it and did you make it up or buy it somewhere? With what we have down here I probably ought to be carrying a boat anchor with me ha ha
Its 1/4" thick line. A little thicker than the normal cable that is on your winch.

Website here.

Viking Off-road

You can get longer ones made up if you need them by calling direct to Viking or Amsteel directly

http://www.amsteelblue.com/index.cfm

·
Registered
121 Posts
Its 1/4" thick line. A little thicker than the normal cable that is on your winch.

Website here.

Viking Off-road

You can get longer ones made up if you need them by calling direct to Viking or Amsteel directly

http://www.amsteelblue.com/index.cfm
Oh man do they make some sweet stuff or what !!!!! Crap, I can see this is going to cost me ha ha ha. I like the idea of replacing my steel winch cable with on of their lines now. Pretty pricey though.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Oh man do they make some sweet stuff or what !!!!! Crap, I can see this is going to cost me ha ha ha. I like the idea of replacing my steel winch cable with on of their lines now. Pretty pricey though.
Yeah it may cost ya a bit more now but they last forever if ya take care of them and they can easily be repaired if you break one in ten minutes or less. Break a steel cable in the field and your done. Plus these are just way safer for pulling versus steel cables.

I have been pleased since converting over last year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah it may cost ya a bit more now but they last forever if ya take care of them and they can easily be repaired if you break one in ten minutes or less. Break a steel cable in the field and your done. Plus these are just way safer for pulling versus steel cables.

I have been pleased since converting over last year.
So, did you replace all of your winch cable with their 1/4" line? I need to go back and check the strength rating of that line. I probably wouldn't have gone with anything less than 3/8" but maybe that might be overkill. Still, $200 to $300 seems like a lot. Did you look at their Safety Thimble end and what did you think of that configuration? I'm not sure I fully understand what their 'rock guard' is that they talk about.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I went wight the standard 3/16" cable and the safety thimble. The 3/16" is plenty strong enough for an ATV (6,000lb pull strenth) the 1/4" was like a 8,500 pound pull. A little overkill for a small rig. I like using shackles to tie everything together feels more secure.

The rock guard is so you can pull over something that could cut your cable. i.e. Rocks trees ect....

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you revving the motor some when operating the winch?

It says to do this in your manual. ATV charging systems do not put out anything to speak of at an idle.
Also make sure your headlights are off if you are doing some winching.

I had some trouble when if I do several pulls with the machine just left at an idle. Started putting it in N and revin when the winch is in use and not had probs since.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts