Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Got the lines ran to the carb and pulled the cord a few times then the cylinder get full of gas and hydrolocks. Took the carb off and the float seem to be fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the line on the very top with the p going to the right side of the carb. The bottom back line towards the front of the quad is going to the gas tank. The back bottom one towards the rear with the filter is going to the left side of the carb. Is this right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And by the needle are you talking about the large needle in the middle of the carb or the float plunger with the rubber tip? Is the big needle in the middle have a rubber seat or something its supposed to sit in?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like the lines are right. I'm talking about the float needle in the bowl. That is what controls the flow of fuel into the carb and stops it wen full so it doesn't overflow and flood the engine out. Sometimes they wear out, sometimes it's just a piece of crap that gets in there and keeps it from plugging the inlet hole, I've also seen plenty of floats that no longer float or are set incorrectly by the rebuilder or by accident when putting the bowl back on.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You set them level with the carb body when upside down. With a new needle and seat is will definitely be off. Bend the little tab in the middle that touches the needle, not the float arms. And a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little update. Rebuilt the carb and it STILL floods the motor! Float is adjusted perfectly. Only thing I noticed is where the choke threads into the carb, the other side is just open and looks like a pice is broke off from the outside. I think theres supposed the be a pipe or something on the outside but its broke off but that still wouldnt cause it to flood like it does.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the bowl hold the plastic part that the float is attached to cause mine pulls out Very easy like the little o-ring doesnt really hold it in place too well.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It can certainly leak past the o-ring if it doesn't seal well. Find a way to pressurize the fuel inlet to 5-7lbs of air pressure with the carb upside down on the bench with the bowl off. It should hold that indefinitely. If not you can usually hear and see where it is leaking from. I use a mighty-vac product that will do positive pressure or vacuum pressure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What o-ring r u talking about? The float needle tip is rubber and just seals the brass hole right? Theres not an o-ring in there is there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the bowl hold that cage up? If I turn th ecarb upside down the whole cage and float will drop out of the carb.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You mean if you take the bowl off and turn it right side up the float will fall out. Leave it upside down so the needle is closed into the seat and stops the fuel flow. Like it would if the bowl was on and it was installed and full of fuel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts