Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO! My name is Vern. I'm from London Ontario in Canada.
I purchased a 1998 Polaris Magnum 44 about 6 months ago and I've been fixing it up ever since. Got it at a good price(less than 500 bucks)
It looked in fair condition and I started to do some routine maintenance on it when I noticed why it went for so cheap. The front end was in bad shape.
I've basically rebuilt the entire front end and it's looking really nice.
when I first got it. It didn't run. It had been sitting under a tree for 4 years and was forgotten about.
I put a new battery in it, a new solenoid, cleaned out the fuel tank, changed all filters and sprayed a little brake clean it the carb and she fired up no problem.
BUT!!! I had to rebuild the carburetor, float was out of adjustment and fuel jets were plugged considerably.
I've run into a problem since I rebuilt the carburetor. the machine fires up but surges and I have forgotten where the fuel lines routing goes. I think I buggered up the fuel routing. Could anyone tell me the proper fuel routing and why it is surging. there is no throttle response since I've rebuilt the carb.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
The fuel line from the pump goes to the carb inlet on the LH side of the carb - the vacuum line to the pump is to the nipple on the RH side of the carb - beyond that, there is two float bowl vents on the top inlet side of the carb and a drain hose on the bottom of the float bowl

Surging is usually caused by a lean condition - float set to low, fuel not entering float bowl baster than it is being used by the engine and too little fuel in the bowl will cause zero throttle response also

·
9,446 Posts
If there was a bunch of gunk in the carb, the pump may be full of it too.
When rebuilding the carb did you remove/replace the pilot screw? If so, did you make sure to get the tiny O-rings and tiny washer reinstalled correctly? That can cause it to act really weird if they aren't right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts