Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Here Is my problem. I have a 2009 500 sportsman the all black edition. I have had multiple times where the quad runs fine for a while then suddenly it dies and won restart. It acts like it is getting no fuel. Each time I have pushed it back to and on to the trailer. Got it home an it started and ran fine. Before it dies it has a few minutes of hesitating and then it completely dies.

This has happened since I bought it used in 2010. Before I got it, the Polaris shop said it had only been in for carb work 1 time.

Everyone is telling me to clean the carb but I think it might also be a fuel feed problem.

Yesterday I started taking the carb off and noticed that the fuel line the comes into the carb with the fuel filter was pumping gas when I turned the key but very little gas. How much gas should be coming out?

Also is there a second fuel line coming into the carb on the "driver" side of the quad?

Does anyone have a good write up about how to remove/clean this carb?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
The second line coming out is your vacuum line for the fuel pump follow it up to a hexagon shaped do hickey. that would be your vacuum pump. as far as getting it out good luck it is in there pretty tight so be patient

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
A agree. These machines are a BUGGER to get runnig if run out of fuel. Ill bet you have an issue in the fuel delivery. Look at all hoses and the filter.

I do t have a 500 my self but we had this issue one trip with a buddies 05 500. Ran out would not re start... Pushed and pulled a couple miles. Tried again and it started and ran perfect..

Some how things get air bound. Ill bet you have a leak or some other way allowing air in. OR plug fuel filter.

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I'd start with a new fuel filter. When cranking over with the starter there should be a pretty steady stream of fuel on each pulse of the vacuum in time with engine revolutions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts