Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy has a 2006 Hawkeye that only runs when the choke is all the way out, and even then the exhaust gets red hot.

Where are folks getting rebuild kits from? Source? Brand of kit?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had my local dealer order a kit. I cant think of the brand, but it was only $25 or $30

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Moose kits are usually pretty complete and can be found about anywhere on the web.
Could try pats small engine parts.
You could try cleaning the carb. and pilot jet first, unless it has other issues.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was able to get a Moose kit for mine off e-bay.

·
11,285 Posts
Boburk, they very sledom ever actually NEED a kit except to get new gaskets and such or if the needle valve is worn and leaking. A good disassembly and cleaning will usually do the trick.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get into it later. It needs a new subframe, but figured I would rebuild the carb for the guy while I had it. Guess I will take it apart and see what I find. Though a rebuild kit with new gaskets, and needle valve, etc, would be nice as long as I had it apart. Plus I thought I read someone's post about a better setup for the needle valve in a certain brand of kit (the C-clip setup as I recall). Might just be a torn boot for all I know. Again, have not got into it yet.

Thanks for the inputs.

Sean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK, finally got the rear of it back together and got around to taking the carb apart (how did you spend your xmas?). Thought it would be a lot more intuitive...but the carb is still hanging from the quad by the choke and throttle cables (guess I need to read the service manual on how to take the cables off).

Anyhow, bad pic, but isn't this the pilot jet (red arrow)?

If so, it is not plugged...and the boot between the engine and carb is not cracked (man that thing is thick, don't know how it could crack).

I know it has sat for awhile...by looking in the fuel bowl.

So I know it probably has some varnish it in, but it ran good for awhile before all of a sudden having this problem. So the varnish buildup should not be the cause.

So, short of taking the carb off the quad and soaking it in carb cleaner...any other ideas?

Sean

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You're pointing at the airjet(for off idle to midrange).
The pilot jet is on the bowl side of the carb. ,,skinny screwdriver to remove, looks lika lil missile or skinny .22 cal. shell. Unscrew it and soak and clean and spray air through it. You should be able to see daylight when clean-very tiny hole.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
NO that's not the pilot jet, turn carb over, remove bowl, in the center down in a hole youll find the pilot, remove it and the main jet , use carb cleaner and compresed air , make sure they are clean, sometimes have to use a tip cleaner for a cutting torch to get pilot open.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a little hole...hard to tell if it was plugged or not. Put it in some carb cleaner and brought it in the house to run a tooth brush bristle through it. Seemed I couldn't see light through it out there, but can now. Hoping that was it.

Thanks for the help guys.

BTW, what's up with a carb cleaner manufacturer putting a hole in the lid for the spray can?...they gotta know we use that as a parts soaker...wonder what they were thinking...

Sean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well...this is what I found taking it apart. The intake from the airbox to the carb was held on with a zip strap (no clamp).

It started leaking fuel, which I figured was coming from the carb. I got the carb back together and installed, and when I turned on the fuel valve, is started pissing again. Looked like it was coming from the fuel pump. Looked back in there, and the pulse line did not have its pinch clamp moved up to where it was holding the line on. Seemed to be leaking from behind it, so reached back and found the fuel line was not connected any more (line to the carb). It was a bluish clear line. Like a vent tube or window fluid line. It was cracked and had no clamp on it. The other end was held onto the fuel filter with a zip strap.

Replaced the line and installed pinch clamps. Put a new fuel filter on. Put the pinch clamp on the pulse line where it goes (line actually fell off while trying to install the other fuel line)...and...

Still have a couple hours of assembling to do...but that is where I left it for the night. Did you see the exhaust at the end? I know it will run lean with the airbox not connected. And the owner said the exhaust was red hot with the choke full out before...but should it still be that lean with the choke in and the airbox not connected?

Sean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well...took it back apart. Made sure the pilot jet was clear (looked for round hole when looking through it at light). Turned the air mixture screw in to count how far out it was (2.5 turns) and then removed it. Sprayed carb cleaner through pilot jet hole (with jet removed still) and some came out the pilot mixture screw hole (screw still out). I then removed the top again, and sprayed carb cleaner through the air jet, and could see it coming out both the pilot jet hole and the air mixture screw hole. Reassembled it all and started it. Turned most of the lights off in the garage, and as it started warming up and I pushed the choke in, I could see the exhaust starting to glow again, so I killed it.

I started my 2008 sportsman 300 up (lights out again), and let it run for awhile. It is pretty cold blooded...but let it run longer than the Hawkeye, watching the exhaust...it never glowed.

I am out of ideas...

Sean

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'm curious, what's your spark plug look like?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would need to pull it and look fuse.

I did some more reading last night about the carb. Appears there is an idle fuel port for the pilot circuit that is not metered that is inside the throttle plate, and an off idle fuel port that is metered by the pilot mixture screw that is outside the throttle plate. The metered port is clear. I need to check the unmetered one.

Sean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok...what I found fuelwise: Fuel line on the pump fell off. Found the fuelline was a blue plastic tube like a vent tube. Replaced it and the fuel filter. Pulse line on the pump did not have the clamp on. After putting the carb on and off a few times, the plate came loose from the intake boot. Cleaned the carb a couple times. After all this, exhaust still red and idle was too high. Idle adjust on carb had no affect. Found the throttle cable out of adjustment by about three turns. Backed it off to get an eigth of an inch throttle freeplay and it no longer glowed red and allows me to set idle with idle screw on carb. Why that fixed the exhaust running hot....I don't know.

It seems to load up if left to idle. I think this was what the carb was recalled for...too much fuel.

Sean

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, even if it seems like a magic fix. The loading up at idle can be adjusted with the mixture screw. In is leaner, out is richer. Try it in a 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks. Will try that if I get over to the guys house any time soon. Was working on the ATV for a friend, that borrowed it from a brother-in-law, for his god son to ride...LOL.

Broken subframe, torn axle boot, broken shift linkage retainer, fuel problem, plus trying to fix up all the back yard dune buggy maintenance that had been done to it.

Sean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts