Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its this jet that is hidden that gives this issue you have. you can see the hole on one end I have in my finger but the other end is real tiny and will not even exist after ethanol sets for some time even with stabilizer. I have a 99 Sportsman and been there. Check it out. If you try to use a small torch tip cleaner it will ruin it. They are cheap from Polaris.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
all jets are brand new in the carb. So the carb is extremely clean and I really do not think its the issue. I believe its a fuel flow issue based on what i found out last night and told earlier in the forum.

The flow from the pump to the carb was a trickle compared to the flow from the tank. The carb is starving for fuel, so this leads me to believe it is the fuel pump. The fuel line from the tank would not reached the carb directly to bypass the fuel pump to confirm its the issue, so I am picking up some fuel line today to confirm its the pump. Purchased a replacement pump on amazon this morning.

·
Registered
92 Posts
all jets are brand new in the carb. So the carb is extremely clean and I really do not think its the issue. I believe its a fuel flow issue based on what i found out last night and told earlier in the forum.

The flow from the pump to the carb was a trickle compared to the flow from the tank. The carb is starving for fuel, so this leads me to believe it is the fuel pump. The fuel line from the tank would not reached the carb directly to bypass the fuel pump to confirm its the issue, so I am picking up some fuel line today to confirm its the pump. Purchased a replacement pump on amazon this morning.
How's the petcock? Verify flow before and after?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
so my fuel lines go

Tank to petcock- flow great (but still not the size of the fuel line)
petcock to pump- did not check this
pump to carb - slow trickle

·
Registered
92 Posts
so my fuel lines go

Tank to petcock- flow great (but still not the size of the fuel line)
petcock to pump- did not check this
pump to carb - slow trickle
I would definitely rule that out before swapping fuel pumps. Don't move on to the next part of the fuel circuit until you get what you expect out of what you're looking at. Petcocks gum up all the time. Not to say it couldn't be the fuel pump, but rule out a clogged petcock first.
Also, when are you seeing the trickle from the pump to the carb? From the pump it will only trickle at most unless it's running.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I’d say you still have ethonol contamination in possibly your float, fuel pump or needle valve. Could be also your choke is not operating right ?

Ethonol is a killer to small parts. I use SeaFoam to combat this and I find it works head and shoulders over everything out there.

You also might wanna check your solenoid and its wires. My 04 had a corroded connection giving me periodic starting issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Run it till it dies, then open the bowl drain screw. Should tell you real quick if the carb is running dry or not. Then would be float setting, partially plugged main jet, then follow back to pump. Make sure the crank case vac line to the fuel pump is good too. Messing with the carb and lines could have dislodged some crap in the lines or elsewhere and clogged something. If someone else already mentioned all this then feel free to ignore me and carry on. Been a long week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Negative. The fuel pump was bad, so installing the new pump fixed the flow to the carb. The ATV starts fine, but the carb now seems to be flooded with gas and runs extremely rough.

Put everything back to factory settings but am at a brick wall. Oh and now gas is flowing out of the float bowl when the petcock is turned on.

-new air intake/ filter
-all new jets (carb completely cleaned)
-all new fuel pump
-new fuel filter

shop may be my next course of action.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Negative. The fuel pump was bad, so installing the new pump fixed the flow to the carb. The ATV starts fine, but the carb now seems to be flooded with gas and runs extremely rough.

Put everything back to factory settings but am at a brick wall. Oh and now gas is flowing out of the float bowl when the petcock is turned on.

-new air intake/ filter
-all new jets (carb completely cleaned)
-all new fuel pump
-new fuel filter

shop may be my next course of action.
Glad to hear you got the flow straightened out. Now pull your carb back off and make sure you set the float level according to spec. If you have a good needle and seat in there now it must not be adjusted correctly if it's flooding. It's allowing the gas to flow past the needle and seat which should be shutting off the flow when the bowl is full.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is one of those situations where messing with stuff will bite you. If the quad ran fine last year, and then this year it doesn't, adjusting settings on the carb is NOT the solution. All this is simple, you need fuel, air, compression and spark.

Case in point. I ended up replacing my carb. I have gone through the hassle with a 3 wheeler i had, buying anything but the actual carb that goes on it. So in this case, I bought a used polaris OEM carb. Installed it after I cleaned it with carb cleaner and brake clean. Ran like crap. I used compressed air also. Blew out everything. Still crap.

I took it off, took all the jets out of it, and dunked in in the gunk carb cleaner, for a couple hours. Pulled it out, blew it out, sprayed it again, reinstalled all the new parts, and bam, started right up and runs flawlessly.

The person who said Ethanol gas is the issue is right. It attracts water, and then it mixes with the alchohol in there, and causes all sorts of issues. Just regular carb and choke cleaner, or brake clean will not dissolve this mess, you need something stronger. Ethanol treatment is basically a chemical that creates a sheen on top of the gas. It is not the end all be all. And once you get water mixed in with gas with ethanol, NO TREATMENT reverses it.

If you ride it every day, great, run whatever gas you want, if you don't, run only no ethanol. My quad sat in my garage all winter, cranked right up this spring. I only use no ethanol gas. And even when I use it only in my 2 stroke power equipment, I still have issues.

I would take the carb apart and soak every jet and the main body in carb cleaner for several hours, then put it back together and see what you have. Set everything back to stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Alright, so the ATV is up and running but i wouldn't say running perfect. I took the gas tank off, flushed it with new gas. I also blew air thru all the lines. took the carb apart again and cleaned everything and blew air thru all of that. It idles and I can give it gas and it doesnt die on me anymore. My only concern now is it seems to running rough. Is there a way to upload videos to this foruM?

Also thank for everyone's help that got me here!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Alright, so the ATV is up and running but i wouldn't say running perfect. I took the gas tank off, flushed it with new gas. I also blew air thru all the lines. took the carb apart again and cleaned everything and blew air thru all of that. It idles and I can give it gas and it doesnt die on me anymore. My only concern now is it seems to running rough. Is there a way to upload videos to this foruM?

Also thank for everyone's help that got me here!
Running rough might be from the crap gas that was going through it before. How are your plugs? Wires? Could be that the ethanol basically shellacked your valves and that would take a few rips to burn off if you're able to. That stuff can really wreak havoc when allowed to sit untreated.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts