Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a grandson put some crappy gas in my 2002 RMK Mag 500. The RMK is all the time 4 wheel drive. So I think I need to pull the carb and do a good cleaning out. How many pieces of the ATV do I need to remove in order to do this unscheduled job. I have a later (I think the last year with a carburetor) Mag 500 and the carburetor on the later model is much easier to get at. Naturally the bad gas would be in the earlier model that is harder to get at.

Oh, for the last 10 years the only gas that has gone in either of these ATV's has been clear non ethanol 92 octane

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
What makes you think the fuel messed up the carb? I would just drain the carb and fuel tank (dry the tank) put in fresh fuel, run some fuel through the carb before closing the drain, install a new spark plug and see if that solves the problem (whatever that might be). If the problem is still there, then possibly remove the carb if it is a carb problem.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
There is a cap on the bottom of the float bowl for main jet access - just remove the cap to let the gas out - if you don't top the cap over, you can inspect the liquid in the cap for contamination (water, dirt or even a main jet that has fallen out)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts