Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need the pilot air adjustments please.

Heres my carb issue: sometimes my bike's carb will stick and run at like half throttle. Itll freak me out so i kill the ignition and the bike still runs (think its dieseling). The cable itsself isnt sticking so i know its an internal thing. Think its either my floats or my pilot air. I notice alot of the time the bike idles higher then normal and the idle adjustment doesnt seem to bring it down. I know its idling high because it grinds the gears. Ive only ran this bike like 3 times and twice the throttle was funny.

Move the needle down, reset the floats or the pilot. What do you guys think?>>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003 trailblazer. I started it today and the bike takes a while to come down when u rev it. All of this is occuring in neutral btw. I played with the float for a lil while ago because when i first got it, it overflowed the bowls. I adjusted it slightly to compensate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ALLLRIGHT!!!! Found my 2 issues. Heres what i got to get my bike to run

Took the carb back apart. Found a bit of dirt AROUND my main jet so i cleaned that. Didnt effect performance. However, what i did fine was a bit of dirt in the secondary jet. A standard needle from clothing cleaned that hole right up.

I went to Mikuni's website and roughly based my carb around settings from this manual

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Measure the tip of the float plate to the body of the carb where the gasket sits(remove gasket if u can) height wise as descibed. I used 16mm on a caliper(19.99 at Harbour Freight). Reassembled the carb and set the pilot air to 2.50 turns out. i left the idle screw all the way out. Bike starts and runs but still idles high.

Found an adjustment at the handle bars for the throttle cable. loosened that and Fixed my High idle problem. When i moved the throttle cable a bit it would cause the engine to rev so i zip tied it down. Also i ran the idle screw back in untill it started to rev the bike up a bit (so now the idle screw is actually doing something) and turned the bike back down a hair at the handle bars.

No problems!

P.S. I also converted the bike to mix fuel. I drained the oil tank at the tank and plugged the line with a screw and some zip ties (i know its ghetto but it works). I plugged it because i thought it could create a vacuum issue. I am running 40:1 and it runs fine with a decent amount of smoke. I converted it because i dont trust oil injection (fails on blasters who knows about trailblazers!) and because now i just mix one jug of fuel for my banshee and TB. Oh, and BTW, No extra screws left over :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
where do I locate the pilot ait to adjust it? Also, I tried going to the Mikuni website and it was garbage for finding my carb, all they had was new carbs...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Air screw is one turn out from lightly seated. Main jet #130, pilot #40, float height is brass arm parallel to gasket surface.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Loosen handle bar adjust ment so there is 1/8 inch of slack at thumb throttle., only 2 screws on a 2 stroke carb, one is idle the other is pilot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Carb issues on 2011 Sportsman 500 HO

Ok so here’s my issue.. my carb was leaking fuel from the bottom of the carb. Bought a rebuild kit, used most gaskets and pieces. Didn’t mess with taking throttle cable and choke cable off carb and cleaned with carb cleaner..It runs and starts but when you throttle up it Boggs down reals bad and sometimes shuts off..I’ve got to Feather the throttle and start in low gear..Any suggestions..Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Ok so here’s my issue.. my carb was leaking fuel from the bottom of the carb. Bought a rebuild kit, used most gaskets and pieces. Didn’t mess with taking throttle cable and choke cable off carb and cleaned with carb cleaner..It runs and starts but when you throttle up it Boggs down reals bad and sometimes shuts off..I’ve got to Feather the throttle and start in low gear..Any suggestions..Thanks
This thread is under the 'trailblazer' heading and almost 6 years old. I suggest you start a new thread and I am sure you will get more responses. A lot of guys on here experienced with Polaris carbs that will be able to help. I'm not that good with carb problems.
I also see you're from Greenwood,IN. My wife lived there through high school.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts