Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all... I recently acquired a 1994 Polaris 400l Sportsman that was literally in buckets with almost all the wires unplugged and hanging there, all plastic off of it, brakes were gone and it had flat tires! The carb was also off and disassembled. The owner gave me the machine to tinker with - saying: "It's been in the barn for two years like this... When you're done with it, just part it out or junk it, as I doubt it will ever run again". He also said it had no spark, no fuel, oil pump was bad, electrical system was junk and it had no brakes. I spent a couple weeks rebuilding it, got it running again, got the electrical system figured out (basically re-wired everything on it), got the oil pump working again (simple fix) and got the brakes working again (New rear caliper and hand lever/master cylinder). Even though I had it running (roughly), the carb was in really bad shape... Some of the ports were drilled and had screws in them, choke was seized up, etc. I went ahead and ordered a new carb and installed it a few days ago. The thing runs like a TOP now (and the previous owner is a bit jealous, saying I must have put a fortune in it (Really, only about $300ish)...
Anyway, my question is: When I looked at the old carb, it had two rubber air lines coming off of it - one by the air inlet side and one off the bowl. The one off the bowl had a filter on the end of it, while the other was a 3" rubber hose that went nowhere. I can build or put together just about anything, but when it comes to air lines off of a carb, I'm lost. I'm sure they go somewhere - I want to make sure I have these lines going to where they need to go, and google was no help at all!! - Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ridinagain! I thought perhaps that's what the case would be, but the filter on the end of the drain line (bowl) threw me off... I thought maybe it was an overflow that went through the filter and back to the carb somehow (Maybe even back to the top line).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again! Clearly, Who ever put the check valve on the bowl line also didn't understand the air line thing! LOL!

I will be purchasing and installing new lines and a check valve tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts