Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i have 2012 500 ho sportsman leaking gas out of overflow not a lot just dripping when idling
Crud in the float needle?

From orbit via Android.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
112 Posts
What Hatzie said. I'd pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. Inspect float needle and seat for wear/buildup and replace if necessary. Check float height. The 330 trailboss I had leaked until I lowered the float height a bit below factory specs. BST carbs are known to have this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that still leaking do you think it could be the rubber part on the float needle

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Did that still leaking do you think it could be the rubber part on the float needle
Nitrile wears out eventually. I've done a few Quadrajets and 2Gs that the only real problem was worn out needles and seats. A decent carb kit should have a fresh needle & seat along with gaskets etc.
From what Sandman was saying there might've been a run of mildly short needles or the BST castings were machined too deep. Try lowering the float a 64th or even a 32nd below spec. If she doesn't starve for fuel and doesn't leak you're done.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
clean and put in new needle adjusted float still leaking out the overfill could it be the fuel pump pumping in to much fuel

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Is the gasket/O ring around the seat replaced and the area cleaned?

I'd give it a couple kinda hard raps on the bowl and see if the leak stops. It may "seat" the new needle and if it does the new needle and seat aren't doing their job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts