Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

I have the above noted machine. Last night after using it to plow the driveway I parked it in the garage. This morning I could smell fuel throughout the garage and saw a puddle of gas under the machine. A close look revealed gas dripping out of the bottom of the carb. There is a small line attached to the the bowl at the bottom of the carb that leads into a small plastic device that kind of resembles a tiny filter. I researched plenty of articles and forums and nearest I can tell is the needle may be stuck. Most recommend a carb kit. So, I decided to removed the carb and attempt to figure it out. There is very little information about how to remove a carb from a 2003 sportsman so I used the old trial and error method, now I think im in bigger trouble. Having removed tons of snowmobile throttle cables I was perplexed on how to remove the throttle cable on this machine. I searched the internet with very little information. So I attempted to remove the whole throttle housing from the carb before i realised i could just pop the cable off and back it out. Anyway, in my attempt to remove the housing I popped the spring off the cam. Now its unwound and i dont see anyway to take that housing off to attached the spring back on the cam. It seems trying to resolve one problem, I have created a myriad of more problems. I thought an ATV carb would be as easy as a snowmobile carb, seems I was wrong. Is there a way to get that spring rewound or a way to remove the housing to fix it? If not, looks like ill need a new carb

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bruce! I typically learn most of what I'm doing from forums....mostly sleds though. This is my first venture into ATV but up until now I didnt need to do much to the ATV.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If you have the throttle cable out of the way, you can use some skinny wire, form it into a loop and pull the spring back around and reinstall with some needlenose pliars .
Just takes patience ,my friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts