Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there running the Carlisle mud wolf tires. Thinking of putting them on my sportsman 500. Any information or opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Haven't run 'em but

they do have 6 plys and I like the side wall protection. Look like a very nice tire. I'm guessing by their name you'll want to do some muddin' in them mainly or what kind of driving do you see yourself doing?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Wife's sportsman has them. I like the Carlisle company since they are made in USA but in all honesty there are a lot better tires out there. They look mean but my bearclaws do a better job cleaning out and paddling thru snow/mud and they are just Kendas "Aggressive All Terrain" tire. Check out the Kenda line, great tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mostly trail riding, if winters are going to continue to be like this one a lot of snow plowing. The picture I had seen of them, it didn't show the sidewall after seeing your picture maybe their to aggressive for my needs. Any suggestions, don't run in to much mud.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Forgot to mention that my bearclaws are ALOT smoother than wifeys mud wolfs.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'm sold on my Grim Reapers. Good all around tire. 8-ply radial with a rim saver design. Work good plowing snow, or out in the woods on the trails. Smooth riding and seem to be wearing well. : )

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
26x8x12 come in at 28lbs! Which will turn a 500 into a dog real quick

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk
They are on the heavy side BUT they didn't really phase my Wifes 300 too much LOL......

EDIT:They lack in the "performance" department for being a mud tire, just aren't really that great IMO.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Look into a zilla its lighter, wear great and have good mud capabilities

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk
Zilla is also an excellent choice!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Black Diamond ATR's aren't as aggressive as the XTRs and they ride smooth so you might look at those. They are a good all around tire. Kenda's were also on my short list when I was looking. The Big Horns might fit your requirements well too, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Carlisle makes some good tires....and make some cheaper ones for OEM..but thats the ATV companies choice I guess....I have some ACT HD tires on Crusher rims i got when i bought my machine...I used them a few times to plow and run some trails here and they did good...I bought new Bearclaw HTR's and wheels so I could keep the Carlisle still mounted....I got the HTR's cause a bit more agressive tread..I did not know how the ACT's would do in 2 feet of snow..but funny thing is..I have the ACT's still on the front as was snowy an cold to put them on..lol..but the HTR's on rears....and seemed the ACT's dug in good for the deep snow since plowing was a breeze ...
OH I seen the sell wheels also...they have some nice wheels..only 3 styles but not bad looking...and lifetime on structual failure... Carlisle Transportation Products not to bad a looking wheel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your input, Ill be making a decision soon but before then I have much information to digest. thanks again and be safe Pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
I changed the Carlise 489s for the ACT HD. Did a lot of all condition riding last year on my Sportsman 500. Was impressed on the ride and how well they did on the trails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts