Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yah... That bad

Sorry in advance if I'm posting in the wrong spot. In August of 2011 I purchased a brand new 2011 sportsman 850 X2. I followed all the Polaris manual instructions for engine break in did the break in oil change and filter change with the "magic Polaris oil" then did another one at around 150 miles. The bike had 172 miles on it. I used this machine this winter for plowing snow but kept it stored in a heated garage and babied the hell out of it. I never got to have this stuff growing up so when I do get toys I appreciate them. On Saturday I was driving the bike on a low grade paved hill going about 40 km when it shuddered and stalled and would not start again only clicked. Got it back to my garage checked batt connections full power to everything still just clicked. Checked oil, lots of oil in it but on closer inspection observed a piece of the dipstick threads broken and metal filings in oil fill area. I have documented both oil changes in my manual due to rumors of dealerships trying to screw you. I purchased a 2 year extended warranty from my dealer for an outrageous 1800.00 Canadian.

Anyway my questions are:

Is this a full engine seizure and if so how likely is it that my dealer is not going to go good on my warranty?

Dealership has had the bike since Monday no word back from them yet. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cory

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
They should be good for it!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
It's hard to say what went wrong, without looking at the motor myself. Sounds like it though.

How your dealer supports this is so unique to each dealer. Some dealers can't get a single warranty through, some get just about all through. Even if their border line not warranty.

Your warranty depends almost entirely on your dealer, and almost none on Polaris. And guess what, the bad dealers that can't get an obvious warranty claim through, they blame it on Polaris.

It sounds like you should fall under warranty. With just your deductible out of pocket if there is one. Could have been a manufacturing or casting problem, and was a ticking time bomb. As long as the oil was good and full.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I know you have a ton of questions in your head, some stress of the future unknown, wondering what went wrong.

You keep us posted and if you have further questions through this process, you just ask.

Sorry to hear, but welcome to the forum.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
They should cover it. It is really going to come down to what they decide the reason for failure was. I would call the dealer and ask for an update.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hot Dang, they took you for a ride in Thunder Bay. I own a 2011 also and the 2 yr was $696.00 in Nova Scotia, so for the extra $1100.00 they shouldn't even charge you a deductible and the Tech should fix the bike in your garage!!!!

Fred

·
Registered
322 Posts
Heck I got a 3 yr with my 2012 for $600! I'd be asking some hard questions on that price that charged you! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone 4s

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's at J&J I assume. I'd get in contact with them and see what is going on. If they try to boot f*ck you with the warranty the best you can do is take them to task legally. If the engine has to be rebuilt on your nickle talk to the folks at overhill sports. They will do it reasonably, or know someone who can. I've been out of the loop in Tbay for a while as to who is the goto rebuilder.
On a side note, if you are coming up here on the august long weekend for the drag races, bring your quad, I'll give you a tour of the area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all,

First off thanks for overwhelming support on this to a forum nooby it's greatly appreciated! The bike was bought at north country outdoors in thunder bay. Talked to them today. Not only did they tell me that warranty will cover it but that they implored Polaris to cover the replacement engine even though my Polaris warranty was technically expired. They are installing a brand new engine at no cost and they claim I may have it back as early as next Friday. I am so far very pleased with this dealership. They tell me the cause was an oil control ring that was damaged on initial engine assembly. Basically the bike was a ticking time bomb. Again thank you all so much!

Cory

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
That's fantastic! Glad they are taking care of it for you. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
322 Posts
That's great! I hope to hear the same very soon about my cracked trany, broken axle, and bent arm mounts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I didn't even know they did Polaris there. Seeing that they gave you good service, I'll look into them for parts and such now. I used to get Yamaha parts from them when I had a RZ350, but now with my goldwing I've been buying from J&J.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad to here good news for you. I dont take mine to the dealer I bought at, my exteneded warranty was recieved with open arms at another shop 50 miles away! I bought a 4 year with mine and a 3 year loan. I will have paid off before warranty is done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yah... That bad

Sorry in advance if I'm posting in the wrong spot. In August of 2011 I purchased a brand new 2011 sportsman 850 X2. I followed all the Polaris manual instructions for engine break in did the break in oil change and filter change with the "magic Polaris oil" then did another one at around 150 miles. The bike had 172 miles on it. I used this machine this winter for plowing snow but kept it stored in a heated garage and babied the hell out of it. I never got to have this stuff growing up so when I do get toys I appreciate them. On Saturday I was driving the bike on a low grade paved hill going about 40 km when it shuddered and stalled and would not start again only clicked. Got it back to my garage checked batt connections full power to everything still just clicked. Checked oil, lots of oil in it but on closer inspection observed a piece of the dipstick threads broken and metal filings in oil fill area. I have documented both oil changes in my manual due to rumors of dealerships trying to screw you. I purchased a 2 year extended warranty from my dealer for an outrageous 1800.00 Canadian.

Anyway my questions are:

Is this a full engine seizure and if so how likely is it that my dealer is not going to go good on my warranty?

Dealership has had the bike since Monday no word back from them yet. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cory
Interesting story Cory. I also have an 850 Sportsman XP mine is 2010 and I have 8,000 miles on it. To be honest I have run the piss out of this machine and it has done nothing but perform.... or outperform any other ATV in my county. Very pleased with it as it is more capable than I have courage. Anyway, a couple years ago after I changed oil I inadvertently forgot to thread my dipstick back down. When I started the engine I heard a loud snap sound and my dipstick flew out hit ceiling in shop and landed on the floor. I found only the top half as the other half was still inside the engine. Not sure what to do I contacted my dealer and he told me to NOT run the engine until I get that piece out. Luckily, I drained the oil and the remaining piece did come out.. Had I run the engine he told me that it would have plugged oil flow and probably ruin the engine. Not sure what caused your engine to fail, but you mention a piece of broken dipstick in your post. Anyway, my machine has been more than expected and still runs like new. It has been through deep mud, water, steepest hill climbs, and can absolutely smoke any other ATV around. Good luck and hope you get yours back up to snuff.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
132 Posts
Interesting story Cory. I also have an 850 Sportsman XP mine is 2010 and I have 8,000 miles on it. To be honest I have run the piss out of this machine and it has done nothing but perform.... or outperform any other ATV in my county. Very pleased with it as it is more capable than I have courage. Anyway, a couple years ago after I changed oil I inadvertently forgot to thread my dipstick back down. When I started the engine I heard a loud snap sound and my dipstick flew out hit ceiling in shop and landed on the floor. I found only the top half as the other half was still inside the engine. Not sure what to do I contacted my dealer and he told me to NOT run the engine until I get that piece out. Luckily, I drained the oil and the remaining piece did come out.. Had I run the engine he told me that it would have plugged oil flow and probably ruin the engine. Not sure what caused your engine to fail, but you mention a piece of broken dipstick in your post. Anyway, my machine has been more than expected and still runs like new. It has been through deep mud, water, steepest hill climbs, and can absolutely smoke any other ATV around. Good luck and hope you get yours back up to snuff.
FYI. You are responding to a nine year old post. Look at the post date. 2012. Lots of new people do this without realizing the post is way out of date.

·
Registered
546 Posts
google it.
countless people have done this and run the engine.
I personally Would lose sleep over it.

·
Premium Member
12,312 Posts
C'mon biggly you're looking all jiggly jacking up the board with old post dig ups. Man up and get your got damn dignity back and just STOP the BS. Play nice or get the #$%@ out of the sand box for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts
Reactions: Doc8404
1 - 20 of 21 Posts