Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This info is intended for everyone but especially those new riders and those that ride hills or mountains. The center of gravity is going to significantly affect the stability of your ATV at serious ascent or decent angles. Once you reach that tipping point on a climb or decent she is all over but the crying. Rolled my Rancher 30 times down a mountain trail 2 years ago due to having my center of gravity too far back and that was just 12 lbs of fuel behind the rear bumper and a fully loaded rear cargo bag mixed with lack of experience and a bit of sh!tty engineering on my rancher 420 auto tranny and those slightly taller tires as they all moved my CG back. Now much wiser for the experience and thankful for insurance, I keep my weight forward in some manner or just don't attempt the climb. Having a Rancher roll over you is much different than a fully loaded 1100 lb XP. Many places in the mountains requires teamwork just to get up or down that hill or past an obstacle as the only way to keep from flipping is to have someone hanging on the front or rear of the ATV. Very easy too get hurt or wreck so always remember that your center of gravity is extremely important. Works the same front, back, side to side as the CG can either help you or hurt you. Tire size and lifting also impacts CG as the taller you make your machine the CG moves higher affecting the stability. I was amazed how adding 12 pounds of fuel in my front cargo helped me going up a hill, but had just the opposite effect going down the same hill. A tow strap wrapped around your front or rear bumper with a couple of friends providing ballast hanging on the straps can make a huge difference. I also use my winch as a fail safe during some climbs and just pull myself up past a steep area. Just moving your body front, aft or side to side has a huge impact on CG so keep that in mind and use it. We have a tendency to.add fuel packs and extra weight up high and forward and back. Many times this is benign due to the terrain but in many cases as your acscent or decent angle increases so does your propensity to flip because of the add ons. Tall tire, lifts, added fuel tanks hanging off the back and all your gear only exasurbates the out of CG condition decreasing your stability. On an Atv this could result in a roll, a totaled Atv and you dead or banged up pretty bad. In an extreme example put too much weight rear or aft in an aircraft and death is a pretty common outcome as it can become uncontrollable. Keeping your weight close, low and near the CG of your vehicle (typically your seat) is the best case in most conditions. When climbing you want your CG forward and low and when descending low and aft. Don't be shy and ask for help during a climb or decent as your pride can seriously impact your wallet and health. Also a rolling out of control ATV is dangerous to others so carrying a cheap insurance policy can save you thousands. My $100 policy on my rancher bought me an almost new 850 XP so it worked out but it could have had a much worse outcome. When ascending or descending leave some room between you and the next guy so you or they can get out of the way when all he!l breaks loose.:shocked1:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
People forget how much fuel weighs. and love to have it up high and protected. I'm a big fan of the cans mounted low between the rear tires or front tires.

lots of good points here. Though the title of the thread may keep people from reading it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Slow day at work Kevin???
LoL

Seriously tho, that's good info for those of us that enjoy reading and many thanks for posting your experience.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Great advise about not letting pride get in the way of asking for a helping hand. When in doubt, we toss out the rope to insure that we ride back to camp, instead of a possible helicopter ride to the hospital. Can it be done without a rope? Maybe. Will I or one of my riding buddies try it and see? Nope. This is just one example and I'm sure we all run into similar situations on occasion out on the trails.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LoL

Seriously tho, that's good info for those of us that enjoy reading and many thanks for posting your experience.
My mind just doesn't stop so it's an outlet...lol...actually was going to reply to another posting about hanging big fuel tanks off the back of a rear bumper and decided to do separate post. Have lots of experience with calculating CG and weight and balance on airplanes but works on ATV's as well. In the end, Gravity is a b!tch....:veryhappy: thanks for the kudos!

I will be silent maybe for a few days...heading to Cancun and Tulum in the morning for 8 days...but they might have wifi....?

·
Registered
110 Posts
LoL

My mind just doesn't stop so it's an outlet...lol...actually was going to reply to another posting about hanging big fuel tanks off the back of a rear bumper and decided to do separate post. Have lots of experience with calculating CG and weight and balance on airplanes but works on ATV's as well. In the end, Gravity is a b!tch....:veryhappy: thanks for the kudos!

I will be silent maybe for a few days...heading to Cancun and Tulum in the morning for 8 days...but they might have wifi....?
Very good points and thanks for keeping them in the forefront of our minds. I'm sure we've all been out on the trail where, not only the accident would be devesatating, but getting in to do a recovery would present a near impossible challenge in itself.
Have a good time south of the border!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Great advise about not letting pride get in the way of asking for a helping hand. When in doubt, we toss out the rope to insure that we ride back to camp, instead of a possible helicopter ride to the hospital. Can it be done without a rope? Maybe. Will I or one of my riding buddies try it and see? Nope. This is just one example and I'm sure we all run into similar situations on occasion out on the trails.

That looks awsome BoBx2.. We got nothing like that here..

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Enjoy it bro!

I'm sure with the state of Mexico 5 bucks will get you wi-fi.. or a pound of :joint::joint::joint::joint:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ - lol

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good points and topic. Recently bought some rack attachments for my Kolpin gas tank and installed the tank on the rear knowing that it was not the best place due to "center of gravity" it was a real convenient place to put it but not the smartest. I left it that way for a few rides but decided to use my head and put it back on the front laying flat before I had an oops. What really convinced me is picking up the thing a few times.....that's a lot of weight in the back.
before....easy to get to and convenient but too rear heavy and after....back to normal

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
LoL

If Senor Frogs is still open in Cancun, go and have a cold one for me Kevin...lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a Victoria and some chips and Guacamole as soon as I got out of the airport. Only in the 70's down here but a lot better than 17 degrees back at home....:D

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LoL

If Senor Frogs is still open in Cancun, go and have a cold one for me Kevin...lol
I'll have several for you! Lol

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Enjoy Mexico. Get off your phone.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sack of corn (50lbs)

is what i put on the front rack, help with steep hills, but it also really helps to stand and lean forward on the really steep areas. The bag has a low-wide ("moldable" to suit) profile that still allows all kinds of stuff to be placed over it. And don't be afraid to know before it too late to back off the throttle and roll back to an area with less inclinem then "Y" your way out. Overall, Think Ahead. Good luck all!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Had a Victoria and some chips and Guacamole as soon as I got out of the airport. Only in the 70's down here but a lot better than 17 degrees back at home....:D
I was there in February and it was high 80's and low 90's and was way too warm, so seventies seems like the perfect temperature. Have a good time and raise a lot of hell

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just took a 4 hour nap with ocean crashing outside my window....talk about the perfect day....family, food, beer and nap time....lol

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^YEAH its 4 degrees out up here right now. Thanks..:aargh4:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts