Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a post in the wrong forum, so putting it here.

My Big Boss (1998) middle chain is making a racket. I think it is just way too loose.

Can someone advise how to tighten it?? I've searched for "how to" and can't find anything on it.

Big storm coming (for us in SC anyway) and I'll need this to play in the snow.

Thanks,
FFN

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Loosen two bolts holding axle from turning, I think they are 5/8,loosen bolts holding brake to axle, rotate axle housing with large channel locks or pipe wrench, tighten bolts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grrrrrr

I've been screwing with this for about 2hrs. I saw in a service manual to try and use a punch and stick between the sprockets and roll backwards.

Headed back out to the garage to try your way.

Thanks,

·
Registered
286 Posts
the punch holds the cylinder in place. I dont know if its the same on the big boss, but I know on other polaris machines, there is actually a bolt on the left brake rotor you have to loosen and it makes it easy to tighten the chain. Also used a big 20 dollar pipe wrench from HF

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it - thanks

It was a biotch - I screwed around forever looking for that hole to stick a punch through when all I had to do was what y'all suggested. Although, I did have to employ a hammer to get that collar to move.

She is back in business for our big snow storm! Pulling kids around on a sled today. :nana:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UGH - I was able to tighten per above - and all went well, but I got into some mud and then the rear wheels stopped turning and the chain was turning on the sprocket. After tightening per above the front chain seemed tight but now it is loose and I assume that's what was turning as the front wheels worked and the 4 rear didn't.

I looked at the service manual that another member posted here but I don't think it is correct - it references a foot break which this model doesn't have.

Can someone please advise how to tighten the front chain??

Thanks,
FFN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts