Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a few searches, didnt find much on this...
I want to put chains on the front (and back) of my 2010 sportsman 500 HO. The back is easy and done. The front has very tight clearance between the tire and the shock "strut". Is there a spacer plate that can be used to move the tire a 1/4" or so from the strut to get clearance? Is adding a fender washer or 2 behind thee wheel a good redneck solution for this ?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
any kind of spacer is going to be more wear and tear on the studs, and you make need to replace the stock stud with XP studs to get the 1/4"+ you're looking for and still get proper thread contact on the nuts. not to mention the added wear and tear on the bearings and such. Just for plow season shouldn't be a big deal, but for continual use you'll see a difference when compared to the stock set up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a good redneck solution......i flipped the rims inside out, plenty of room. Yea i realize the stress on the front end but its just during plow season and a few short rides

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
As long as the nut is flush with the threads it will not be an issue, stress from 1/4" spacer will not make any difference to the bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts