Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a deal worked out on a 17 570sp. Was going to pick it up tomorrow. Ended up changing my mind to an 850sp. Im hoping I made the right choice. I mean bigger is better right lol... The 570 was priced at 6700 and the 850 is price at 7900. I have the bumpers and winch picked out for it.. What else do I need fellas?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Honestly it is all an opinion thing. The 570 is a great ATV but alot of guys i know love their 850's too. Def will have more power haha good luck with it

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
As said, a lot of guys like their 570 machines. And a lot want the extra CCs of the 850 and 1000.

The only suggestion I would have as to upgrades that you haven't already picked out would be a better set of tires and clutch kit. The OEM tires are only 3 ply and I am paranoid about tearing a sidewall on the trail. Going to a 6 or 8 ply makes me feel better but with the extra weight, you will probably want a clutch kit. The 850 has more than enough power to handle the added weight, but the clutch kit will make it easier on the belt.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? That will help people suggest parts geared more towards your riding style.

Bob will be by shortly to tell you "you made the wrong choice, the 570 is all anyone needs"...:grin

At the price difference you definitely made the right choice in my mind. If nothing else, your resale value will be better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of riding do you do? That will help people suggest parts geared more towards your riding style.

Bob will be by shortly to tell you "you made the wrong choice, the 570 is all anyone needs"...:grin

At the price difference you definitely made the right choice in my mind. If nothing else, your resale valve will be better.

Well mainly trail riding.. little mud mixed in... And the resale value did come across my mind. Was originally looking at the 850 highlifter but thought if push comes to shove and I got rid of it ( I tend to sell things) then the highlifter would be a very shallow market. I cant see many people wanting to buy one of those used.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
congrats on your new purchase, the 850 has stiffer adjustable front suspension and the radiator sits a bit higher than the 570 so it wont get caked up as fast.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Back in ‘13 I was trying to decide between the 550 and the 850.

I chose a new-old-stock 2012 550LE. Was just a better machine for my uses and the 850s were having more problems.
I’m still happy with my decision. I’ve thought of trading for a 570

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts

At the price difference you definitely made the right choice in my mind. If nothing else, your resale valve will be better.

Well mainly trail riding.. little mud mixed in... And the resale value did come across my mind. Was originally looking at the 850 highlifter but thought if push comes to shove and I got rid of it ( I tend to sell things) then the highlifter would be a very shallow market. I cant see many people wanting to buy one of those used.
Just can't let go, can you? How old are you?

wpsharpshooter, I had my 850 for about 3 1/2 years, and when I sold it, I bought a 570. Contrary to the popular belief of some here, the 570 is an extremely capable machine. I actually prefer it to the 850 that I had. I stayed away from the SP model for several reasons. I hated having to run 14" wheels, which need 28" tires to handle the rocky riding I do. ADC is another troublesome feature that I didn't want to have to deal with anymore, and had no use for it when it did work properly. I also had to install $1,200 worth of aftermarket shocks to get as good of a ride as you get with the strut front suspension. The close ratio AWD was also giving many folks problems on the SP's.
I don't "race", and the ability to ride 60+ mph is useless to me. I rode 60 mph one time on my 850, and it's just not anything I would do on again on a short wheel base quad. If that type of riding is what you plan on, the 850 would probably be your better choice.
After 1 1/2 years on my 570, I can honestly say I don't miss the 850 at all. For trail riding and rock crawling, the 570 Touring is my choice of atv. Price had absolutely nothing to do with my choice, but the money saved bought a lot of the accessories everyone wants. :smile
Whatever your choice, you are going to enjoy it, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

I'd look into the Cecco Racing frame braces, cheap insurance for an otherwise expensive problem. Tires and maybe a winch since you mud a little...you can look into the Cecco pinion cover as well but I haven't heard much on the 17s and 18s breaking them.

Other then that it's basically personal preference on things like exhaust, ecu tuning, light bars, etc. If you like to go fast I'd definitely look into upgrading the shocks.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have to agree, the frame braces are a “must have” for an XP
I installed them when my machine was relatively new.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased an 850 2 weeks ago, it's an animal, should have bought one a few years ago. I put 28's on it as the stock tires aren't great in much mud.

·
Registered
317 Posts
like bob, i had a 850 and went back to a 570. there are pros and cons to both, but pros i like on the 570 over the 850 are: tighter turning radius, easier to adjust headlight, easier access to the belt, more storage, and the newer chassis' are harder on bushings and bearings, though i didnt ride the 850 enough to get to that point. the 850 has more mid and top end power. i couldnt tell you which rides better, but id say they'd be close. as far as power ive had the 570 to 60 or so and it had more for sure. its no slouch

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm late to the party, but congrats. I chose the 850 (touring) since I am hauling others. Love this thing so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts