Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to changing out the spark plug today to a NGK Iridium plug.. Big difference in start up and Idle easy to do I recommended it..

·
Registered
483 Posts
Finally got to changing out the spark plug today to a NGK Iridium plug.. Big difference in start up and Idle easy to do I recommended it..
Part #, and how hard is it to get to the plug? Gap?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Note: DO NOT GAP AN IRIDIUM PLUG!! DON'T EVEN CHECK THE GAP WITH A FEELER GUAGE!!

As they come pre gapped, and if you try to check/change it.... you'll break the iridium tip off the electrode when trying to gauge it. Which = A spendy $7.00'ish mistake.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I just bought a few of the NGK iridiums IX plugs at advanced auto...was on sale 2.00 off...i think it was 5.09 each....use right from the box..no gapping....tip is a fine wire..I have not installed yet...waiting for some better weather...spent all day today plowing...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used to foul plugs in carbureted ATVs all the time.
Switched to 'rids and haven't fouled one of them since.
Highly recommended.

Not really a problem with fuel injected rigs so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part #, and how hard is it to get to the plug? Gap?
Real easy to get to.. Take the left side panel off and the air box lid for some better room..pop the plug wire off and that's it..# CR8EIX is what I used

·
Registered
815 Posts
Need to get some. In what way is it different in start and idle? Might get some right now lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
If your bike already runs well it will be no different.
But it will be longer before you need a new set. Much longer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Need to get some. In what way is it different in start and idle? Might get some right now lol
Well for mine it seemed to fire up quicker and idle a lot smoother..

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hmm. Just ordered one from orielly. I'll have it tomorrow. Anxious to see

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I run NGK V-Power plugs. Tried the rids but never seemed to run right. I just change the plugs once a year and the copper is the best conductor out there!

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I run NGK V-Power plugs. Tried the rids but never seemed to run right. I just change the plugs once a year and the copper is the best conductor out there!

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!
Actually, gold is :bee:

BUT Copper is the best conductor available for spark plugs.

EDIT: Here are the thermal conductivities in watts/centimeter-kelvin (higher the better)
Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47

As you can see nothing can touch copper BUT the tradeoff is they won't last as long as the others. They should easily last a riding season for most of us unless your machine is running too rich/lean. I also just change them once a year.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Actually, gold is :bee:

BUT Copper is the best conductor available for spark plugs.

EDIT: Here are the thermal conductivities in watts/centimeter-kelvin (higher the better)
Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47

As you can see nothing can touch copper BUT the tradeoff is they won't last as long as the others. They should easily last a riding season for most of us unless your machine is running too rich/lean. I also just change them once a year.
I agree that copper is the best for conductivity in plugs, but something about the way iridium plugs are made makes them more resistant to fouling.

I disagree that gold is more conductive than copper. It is more resistant to corrosion, but it is not more conductive.

Electrical resistivity and conductivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Like I said the others are more resistant to fouling but don't perform at the level copper does.

I remember reading an article years ago about the space station control circuits were wired in gold because of its unique conductive properties. It has several advantages over copper, wish I could find it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Missed the part where you mentioned the fouling, sorry.
Not worth arguing about the conductive properties of gold vs. copper, and it doesn't matter because AFAIK they don't make gold plugs anyway.

I wonder if the iridium plug in my Grizzly explains why it skips a beat sometimes when idling. That might be worth swapping out with a copper plug to see. It's super easy to reach.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^Could be worth a try!!! :beerchug:

EDIT: Its not my intentions to knock the Iridium and Platinum plugs, just trying to set the info straight. They do indeed have their place, and if you want to run them by all means got for it!!! What I don't like is the way they market those things a lot of people think they will get better performance when in fact they are sacrificing performance for longevity.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What I don't like is the way they market those things a lot of people think they will get better performance when in fact they are sacrificing performance for longevity.
I threw a rod in an ATV once. Punched a hole in the side of the engine casing.
But it turned out OK, I just put Iridium plugs in there and I was back on the trail in no time!

:liar:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I swamped an ATV once in 15 feet of water. Fished it out, pulled it onto shore and changed the spark plug to a platinum my buddy just happen to have in his pocket. Fired right up. That was 15 years ago and its still got that same plug and 15,000 miles on it.

Ok im done LOL

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I believe the iridiums have a copper core to the iridium electrode tip....the regular plugs have a copper center core with a nickle iron protruding tip...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I believe the iridiums have a copper core to the iridium electrode tip....
True, the iridium is only attached to the tip of the electrode.... but from a conductive stand point, it still is less conductive then the nickel tips.

I'm still waiting for it to warm up a little so I can install mine in the 400. Way easier (on the wallet too) to heat the shop when it's above 0°F. :D

Hmm. Just ordered one from orielly. I'll have it tomorrow. Anxious to see
Off Topic.... But, Good luck with those idiots! I ordered mine from them on a Friday, they said it would be in Monday by 3:00pm (From Fargo via store transfer). Went in Monday.... nothing (weather related delivery excuse, blizzard... okay I'll bite on that as many roads were closed). Okay, it'll be in tomorrow.... same story story Tuesday & Wednesday. But they ordered it from the Twin Cities on Tuesday also.... two days delivery. Went in 3 days later on Friday.... nothing! Was told we'll order it again for the third time..... I told them to "Just Forget It" and set down the rest of the merchandise in my hands on the counter and walked out. Drove over to NAPA (2 blocks away) ordered it at 5:30pm Friday and had it in my hand Saturday by 9:30am. Guess I know where I'll be shopping.... :idea:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts