Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 500 X2 the left seal is leaking where the axle goes into the tranny. I have never changed this one before and I am wondering does the tranny need to come out and be split or can the seal be changed with the tranny still in the ATV. She rolled over to 10034 miles this weekend and needs a little TLC on a few things.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It can be changed on the machine, getting the axle out can be a bugger on some. Sometimes it just takes a couple hard pulls on the shaft, while others..you may need a slide hammer puller.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be changed on the machine, getting the axle out can be a bugger on some. Sometimes it just takes a couple hard pulls on the shaft, while others..you may need a slide hammer puller.
I have never had the axle out so I am sure it is going to be fun. Going to start soaking the axle tonight for the rest of the week and give it a shot Saturday morning.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Ronnie..soak it a few days...then get a muffler clamp that fits the axle cup...i think its 3 in or 3 1/2 in...before you put the bottom part of the clamp on get a 2 foot piece of chain put it on the clamp studs then add the bottom clamp..tighten it....use a slide hammer with a hook attachment on the end....put on the center of the chain...give it a few pulls....will pop out...get a slide hammer at advanced auto..rent it...when u bring it back they give you the rental fee back..so its free.....comes with alot of attachments....

thats how I did it..worked great..1 pull it was off....i did not want to dop the pry thing ..afraid i would break the case.....

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ronnie..soak it a few days...then get a muffler clamp that fits the axle cup...i think its 3 in or 3 1/2 in...before you put the bottom part of the clamp on get a 2 foot piece of chain put it on the clamp studs then add the bottom clamp..tighten it....use a slide hammer with a hook attachment on the end....put on the center of the chain...give it a few pulls....will pop out...get a slide hammer at advanced auto..rent it...when u bring it back they give you the rental fee back..so its free.....comes with alot of attachments....

thats how I did it..worked great..1 pull it was off....i did not want to dop the pry thing ..afraid i would break the case.....
Soaked the axle all week and on the 2nd pull it came right out. I could not believe how easy it was. The seal was just as easy. Drilled 2 small holes in the seal and screwed a couple of small sheet metal screws in. Used a small pry bar and it came out very easy also.

Ronnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts