Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost a year has gone by owning a 2017 450 Sportsman time for fluid check and changes.
I have a Polaris HD 2500lb Polaris Winch installed. Is it possible to check and change the front drive fluid without removing winch?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Almost a year has gone by owning a 2017 450 Sportsman time for fluid check and changes.
I have a Polaris HD 2500lb Polaris Winch installed. Is it possible to check and change the front drive fluid without removing winch?
Not in my experience. I tried the very first time I needed to change the fluid, but quickly realized I was just going to strip out the head of the fill port nut. I remove the winch mounting bolts and pull the winch out. I sit the winch on something to hold it up (this last time I just used an old bucket) while I complete the fluid change. That way you shouldn't have to remove any other connections from the winch. It's really not that bad, you just wish it wasn't necessary to get the fluid checked/changed.

·
Premium Member
7,404 Posts
Not in my experience. I tried the very first time I needed to change the fluid, but quickly realized I was just going to strip out the head of the fill port nut. I remove the winch mounting bolts and pull the winch out. I sit the winch on something to hold it up (this last time I just used an old bucket) while I complete the fluid change. That way you shouldn't have to remove any other connections from the winch. It's really not that bad, you just wish it wasn't necessary to get the fluid checked/changed.
This is exactly what I have done from day one. I have heard of guys using the vent tube as the fill. I never tried that. It's easy enough to move the winch out of the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts