Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2012 sportsman 500. I was wondering can i just change the oil and filter, or do i have to drain the crankcase and pull the oil screen out to? Any help would be great thanks sportsman-

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I was told that I had to get the dealer to do the first change for warranty purposes? They will check it over, and if snything is needed, will change it.

Am interested in the same as you.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you need to drain the tank and crankcase, change filter, its a good idea to do the screen for your first oil change at least.

·
Registered
576 Posts
For the first oil change take it to the dealer. After that I recommend draining the oil res., crankcase, and filter for each oil change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To drain the crankcase, you need to locate the drain plug first. Looking at the right side of the engine, the round crankcase cover with Polaris cast into it, has a bolt in the 6 o'clock position. This is the drain plug. You access it from underneath the atv, through an elongated oval opening in the skid plate. But not just any tool will do. Due to the close quarters, you need a box wrench with 0 offset to latch on to the plug. Offset is when the wrench is on the bolt, the handle angles up, so your knuckles don't drag. You need a wrench, when looked at from the side, is flat. Open end wrenches, or Crescent wrenches will slip and round off the head of the drain plug. I use a ratcheting box wrench with 0 offset, what a tool! (the wrench, not me) As always, dispose of the old oil responsibly, and don't run with scissors. Happy trails 2u.

·
Registered
576 Posts
To drain the crankcase, you need to locate the drain plug first. Looking at the right side of the engine, the round crankcase cover with Polaris cast into it, has a bolt in the 6 o'clock position. This is the drain plug. You access it from underneath the atv, through an elongated oval opening in the skid plate. But not just any tool will do. Due to the close quarters, you need a box wrench with 0 offset to latch on to the plug. Offset is when the wrench is on the bolt, the handle angles up, so your knuckles don't drag. You need a wrench, when looked at from the side, is flat. Open end wrenches, or Crescent wrenches will slip and round off the head of the drain plug. I use a ratcheting box wrench with 0 offset, what a tool! (the wrench, not me) As always, dispose of the old oil responsibly, and don't run with scissors. Happy trails 2u.
You should see my knuckles...ha. I used a standard wrench and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
you need to drain the tank and crankcase, change filter, its a good idea to do the screen for your first oil change at least.
My dealer ssid they do not do it, too many issues trying to get it primed properly. A Polaris tech on another forum said you could do it at 100 hours. Did them at TV hours with nothing on them. As long as you change your oil regularly.

Will do mine at 100 hours.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Unless I missed something in the manual I don't remember anything about the dealer doing the first oil change. I have all of the stuff and was about to do it. Should I go ahead or am I risking my warranty?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Unless I missed something in the manual I don't remember anything about the dealer doing the first oil change. I have all of the stuff and was about to do it. Should I go ahead or am I risking my warranty?
I did my first oil chsnge, kept the receipts for the filter and oil. (K&N 303, M1) I took my right running board off to drain tne crank case. Worked out great, as I started the plug with my fingers, and snugged it with a wrench through the whole in the skidplate.

One thing the dealer recomnends is getting it in before the 6 month warranty is up, for a check up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What screen do you talk of?

My dealer never said they had to do the first change.
It's on the bottom of the oil res and should run at 90 degrees. There is a screen inside, it's a good idea to clean that out for the first oil change to remove any metal that may have been picked up during the break in period. It's not required but just a good maintenance thing to check on a brand new atv.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts